1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How long do Parsnips take

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I planted my parsnips on the 20th in fresh seed compost in fibre pots and place in the greenhouse which is not heated.How long should they take before something appears.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    Should take two to three weeks. Hopefully you have fresh seed?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
      +52
      Yes bought the seed the same day I planted them I used seeds which I had bought the previous year but according to the packet it said use before 2016 and never got anything had to buy another packet.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Fibre pots are rather shallow for sowing parsnips, bog roll tubes are better, and even then it's a bit of a rush to get them planted out into open ground before the root reaches the bottom, because if it does before having open ground beneath it'll grow into a deformed, stunted root.

I've previously timed germination of seeds sown in bog roll tubes left in a polytunnel and it's always been around three weeks, might be earlier in a greenhouse.

Three weeks to the day:

parsnip bog rolls.jpg

If sowing more than one seed per pot/tube, remove all but one ASAP, or they'll twist around one another in an 'embrace of death', don't leave fibre/cardboard projecting above ground level or it'll wick moisture away from the seedling, plant out as soon as shots appear as there's only about 2 or 3 days before the root hits the bottom of the tubes, spacing tubes apart helps reduce mould (but doesn't eliminate).

N.B. I plan my sowing so that the 3 week germination period ends when I'm available to check for germination and be able to plant out into a prepared bed, avoiding the mistake of sowing 3 weeks before taking a week's Easter hols!

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
      • Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,997
        And if using bog roll tubes, more essential stuff, get them the 'right way up' or they'll unwind/fall apart when they get wet:

bog roll way up 99.jpg

• Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 2
        • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
          Ratings:
          +6,224
          What you tray you using to hold your tubes @Scrungee? Guessing a free one but did it hold yoghurts? I don't fancy walking in tesco with bog roll tubes to measure up!
          Mine always fall over or mould up straight away.

• Funny Funny x 1
          • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
            Ratings:
            +6,543
            IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0574.JPG Here are some of mine,growing since before Christmas after germinating on top of one of my tonne compost bags where I had chucked the tray of home harvested and dried seeds.A rat had been in the tray and pooed on them so I chucked the whole lot out only to find they germinated as easily as anything...:snorky: A few more weeks and they will be about ready to plant out in the ground:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
            • Scrungee

Ratings:
              +28,997
              I've used 2 types of trays in the past. Free, used ones from GCs used to hold tiny pots around this time of year, which tended to be non-UV stabilised and would only last a season or so, plus the 20 x round cell trays previously sold in Poundland and 99p Shops, and which I still have loads:

poundland cell trays.png

• Useful Useful x 1
              • Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
                +52
                I did have a large cardboard box full of toilet roll holders which then got put into the recycling bin.I do have several of what Scrungee suggested.Do you put the compost straight into the tray of fill the pots and put the pots into the tray.As I will not have enough toilet roll holders in time to plant are there any other suggestions

• Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                Ratings:
                +6,543
                You can always use Kitchen roll insides,cut in half.I use old vending machine cups but not too sure what sort they have in vending machines nowadays:scratch:

Some people also use root trainers that you can buy from garden centres and I think they come in different sizes...:smile:

• Scrungee

Ratings:
                +28,997
                The compost only goes into the tubes. I drop some in (about third depth?) then use a short length of broom handle to tamp in down so it wont fall out the bottom, but not so hard it might restrict root growth, then add/gently tamp more seed compost above up seed sowing depth, sow 3 seeds and cover with more compost. Top of soil filling should be set below the top of tube to provide space for watering.

N.B. If sowing more than one seed, only one can be allowed to remain after germination. Pinch out the others and continue to watch out for additional seeds germinating after planting tubes out in open ground.

I understand some people make tubes from newspapers, wrapping, around a suitably sized cylindrical object, sliding off and tucking some of the ends in. I've not done this myself, but I'm sure it's been posted previously on this forum and I'll have a look for a link to it see EDIT. The tubes must be constructed of something that will rot and permit the root to both expand and grow through the bottom without any obstruction.

EDIT: Check this post Tips for growing Parsnips

P.S. Last year I successfully trialled planting the Parsnip tubes through holes in Mypex woven plastic weed suppressant membrane and achieved a crop of decent sized roots at every station and without the need for any weeding throughout the growing season, a huge improvement on my first attempts at sowing in open ground with failed germinations and those seeds that germinated then being out competed by a flush of weed growth.

I would especially recommend this method to anybody with heavy, wet, cold clay soil, or those who've taken on overgrown plots with an extensive weed seedbank just waiting to stifle small parsnip seedlings.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  Last edited: Mar 8, 2017