How long should i wait?

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by GYO newbie, Apr 24, 2015.

1. GYO newbie

GYO newbie Gardener

Ratings:
    +178
    Evening. I have two temp raised beds - after much deliberation I have decided where they will go. Last weekend I visited my local allotment community shop. They suggested treating the grass before filling the beds with soil. They obviously buy I bulk and sell smaller quantities which is great but the sticker on the container only talked about diluting instructions.

What I would like to know is how long will round up take to take effect? Do I need to water it at all? Do I need to wait for the grass to die before I dig it over or can I just crack on? Put round up on the areas in question on Tuesday. If I am then going to add soil/compost to the beds, do I have to wait? If I don't have to wait to add compost, do I have to wait to plant fruit /veg?

Lot of questions I know but keen as mustard to get on. New to GYO - and I love it love it love it. ❤

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,889
    Round-Up is a systemic weed killer, when sprayed on foliage it is taken down through the plants system to kill the roots. When you use it be careful not to spray any other plants as it kills just about anything it touches. Use on a windless day to prevent drift.

You should start to see results in a few days as the grass will start to wilt and it usually takes a couple of weeks for weeds/grass to die. The fact that it is liquid you shouldn't need to water after applying but if it doesn't rain after a few days it may be wise to give the grass a sprinkling, just to trigger the weed killer again. Yes, you need the grass to be brown, if it's still showing green then the roots haven't been killed. Round-Up is supposed to neutralise once it makes contact with soil enabling it to be planted straight away but where fruit and veg is concerned I think I'd be inclined to leave it a couple of weeks before planting.

3. GYO newbie

GYO newbie Gardener

Ratings:
    +178
    Very helpful - thank you. Yes the men at the allotment shop warned me about the power of round up and how I should use with caution on a windless day. Ta!

• Friendly Friendly x 1