1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How much for a pro to lay a lawn? Quote Guesses?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by cooperidol, May 7, 2011.

1. cooperidol

cooperidol Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i have a garden which is 7m by 10m, quite a few weeds, bumpy and uneven. i was thinking of calling in a landscaper/gardener to basically do whatever preperations need to be done and lay a new turf. could i please have your expertise guesses on how much you think this will cost me, and how long it would take them? i know the actual turf i want will cost me £200 for the area i need to cover. its just the labour and other materials im wondering about. thanks.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    £200 for 70 sq.m. of turf sounds expensive to me. I paid £1 / turf a couple of years ago, but that was price for self-collect from the fens where it was grown

Dunno about cost of landscaping - I like to hire a JCB and do it myself "Boy's Toys" style :thumb:

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Actually, maybe a turf is only 0.5 sq.m rather than 1 sq.m. as I was thinking just now?

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,215
    I don't know what the labour cost is but get a few quotes and written details of what they will do.

One of the members on here was quoted a cheap price for laying a lawn but they weren't going to bother to remove weeds or weed kill them and, I think, weren't going to dig or level the ground.

5. skinner

skinner Gardener

Dogsbody
    Ratings:
    +23
  6. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,489
    If you decide on a landscape gardener, shop around, as their prices can be very erratic.
    I'm talking from experience, a local landscaper quoted me £4000, yes you did read right, £4000 just to level an area of garden about 30x20ft and put a two tier bed in for me. The job was eventually done by someone that charged me under £300.

7. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Lots of variation in prices depending where you live . Here in Northants turf would range £2-£3 a sq metre depending on quality ,Time involved depends on how much preparation is needed, so as already mentioned get a few quotes and check how they intend to prepare the ground before laying ..
    Dave

8. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    It depends on what you want your 'contractor' to actually do and whether you want them to provide the turf - if they know their business, they should offer you a choice of different types, from general purpose rye grass mixture to 'you set foot on my lawn at your peril' grade!

If you want them to properly clear the site of all weeds, level, flatten, roll, lay sand and lay the turf, (they would charge you separately for supplying the turf) - and only slightly less if you're proposing to lay the turf yourself since this is the 'easy' bit.

Not all landscape gardeners actually own the machinery which may be necessary, (heavy duty rotavator perhaps) and they may also need a skip, so they would quote you by factoring in any hire charges they encounter.

For site clearing and ground preparation, I wouldn't expect to get much change from £8 sq metre.

9. esdel

esdel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    no more than 300 quid + the turf

Its not that big a job.