How much it costs to run a computer

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by jjordie, May 6, 2007.

1. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Not a Computer question but I found some interesting information. I know PCMedic gave us some details a while ago but this really makes you think how much energy we are consuming - and the cost [​IMG]

http://www.liv.ac.uk/csd/mws/powersave/index.htm

[​IMG]

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Most interesting jjordie. I can understand the logic they are using for not turning off computers even when nobody is logged in. But I also see the cost.

3. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    It is easy to check what your computer is using. Have all your computer equipment plugged into a multi-socket strip unit, put the plug into a power monitor and the power monitor into the normal 13 amp socket. The power monitor will give readings of amps, watts and kilowatt/hours over a period. These power monitors are available from Maplins for about �£15

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I have done that Larkshill - its about 150 watts (including the monitor) - which is quite a lot considering how long it is switched on for. I have an old CRT which uses about 70 watts, I would be interested to know what the flat screens use. They ought to be a lot less, but I have heard they are very wasteful.

But Jjordie is drawing our attention to the fact that there is a big cost at the other end that we tend to forget about.

5. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I use a flat screen (LCD) monitor, a Medion from ALDI. The makers label says 1.0 amp at 240 volts that's 240 watts. The actual reading is 27 watts, just shows you can't always rely on the labels.

I only have the computer switched on when I am using it, I have a wireless modem/router which is off when not being used.