How much time to manage an allotment?

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by TurnedThespian, Feb 28, 2015.

1. TurnedThespian

TurnedThespian Gardener

Reformed Luvvie
    Ratings:
    +510
    Right, this is a slightly complicated scenario, so bear with me!

Over the last three or four years, I have got really into gardening, but I only have a very small garden. My house overlooks a plot of allotments, and I have often thought it would be nice to rent one, and grow things too large for my own garden. But I know all the plots are taken, and I believe (though I haven't looked into it seriously), that there is a long waiting list.

Meanwhile, my Dad has a huge garden - too huge for him to manage. But he lives about 12 miles away, and it's about a 25 minute drive. Certainly too far for me to visit every day. Lately, he's more or less asked me if I would manage the lower half of his garden. I am considering taking it on, but realistically, I could probably only guarantee once a week (possibly more in summer, or if I really wanted to spend more time there).

I've seen this: http://www.rocketgardens.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=742 which I think is a wonderful idea. Takes some of the work out of growing seedlings, and also answers the question of what to grow and when (which, as a first timer, I wouldn't have a clue!).

I'm wondering if I could take on my Dad's garden, like an allotment, and manage it with a visit once or twice a week...
    Do you think this would be do-able?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It's doable, but you'd need some shortcuts if you've got limited time, like growing thru holes in carpets to keep the weeds down, weeding is a lot of work in the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,991
      I would say go for it TT, grow things that look after themselves like Potatoes, Carrots, Parsnips, Onions, Lettuce and Cabbages. Once planted they shouldn't be too much trouble, watering once a week would be OK. You would need to net the cabbages against pigeons/butterflies. I'd avoid crops that need a lot of daily TLC like tomatoes and cucumbers.

That link has some plant ideas, personally I think it's too many different varieties and I wouldn't want carrots/peas as young plants as they dislike being transplanted - and the price frightens me! Easy for me to say but most of those are dead simple to grow from seed or you could do just as well buying them as young plants from a GC. Things like onion sets (dead easy to grow), and potatoes are very straight forward. So I'd say cut down the number of different things and concentrate on a few tried and trusted ones.

What sort of size is it? and is it all ready laid out as a veggie patch?

• Like Like x 2
      • TurnedThespian

TurnedThespian Gardener

Reformed Luvvie
        Ratings:
        +510
        It's as big as I want it to be, @JWK. Dad has a huge garden, and the entire lower half is pretty much in need of looking after. It used to be laid out as a veggie patch, it wouldn't take much work to restore it, just a lot of digging.
        The site I linked to usually has offers on. I wouldn't pay full price for the 'Constant Garden' idea, but I may consider if they have another discount (I wish I had thought sooner, there was an offer until mid Feb). I just liked the idea of taking some of the work out of choosing and growing from seed - at least for the first year.
        I'm in no hurry though, Dad's garden will always be there, so I can either take some more time to research what to grow, or wait until another discount comes along. The main thing is deciding whether it's feasible to take on a plot of land with one or two visits a week. It's just a bit too far to commit to regular visits, but I'd love to grow my own veggies, and some of the flowers that are too big for my own garden.

• Like Like x 1