How much will you spend?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Slinky, Jun 13, 2008.

?

How much will you spend on one plant or shrub.?

Poll closed Aug 13, 2008.
  1. £5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. £10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. £15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. £20

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. £25

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. £30

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. £40

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. £45

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. £50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    As the title says how much are you prepared to pay for a plant/shrub/flower/ ,Until you actually think hang on thats a bit pricey.

I.e Today i brought a musa Basjoo which is a decent enough size but was £25:D.........
    and never batted an eye-lid:cool:

When the cost gets to about £50 I then come crashing down to earth and think hang on a min.............

What is the most expensive plant/shrub,flower you have purchased and what was it????

This is poll so dont forget to vote................

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I would prefer to buy a small plant and have the satisfaction of growing it on. Even if it took a couple of years.:cool:

3. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Same here. I garden because I like to grow things, not buy them ready made :)

4. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I totally understand growing from scratch,but sometimes .......surely you see something at a Garden nursery and say............Ohhhhh yes that belongs or would look fantastic in my garden and buy it???????:p

5. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'd prefer to spend a smaller amount on lots of plants knowing that they'd eventually fill out. So far i've never spent more that £10 on a plant.

I've been tempted to spend more though. :D

6. men8ifr

men8ifr Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment about £10 is the most I've spent on a single plant though have come away from the garden centre spending £90 before - my problem is my garden has nothing so needs lots of plants.

At the moment I am considering a bamboo which would be £50 for a 7 foot one or £90 for a 12' one - the issue there it is would be nice to look at a plant rather than my neighbours house and a smaller one would take quite a lot of years to get to the required height....

7. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the point i,m probing we all buy stuff but are ashamed to admit it........:p

Thanks for your input men8ifr:thumb:

8. Canucksintheuk

Canucksintheuk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, well I think the most expensive bushes I've bought would've been a couple of red cut leaf Japanese maples last year - we got those on a half price deal and so were only 12.50 each. The other day I picked up a Kangaroo Paw (Native Australian plant) for indoors for 8.99 - knowing I'll probably kill it, I thought that was alot. But, I've tried to grow them from seeds sent over, and no success - so thought buying one was well worth it :)

9. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Let's put it this way... I buy quite a lot of seeds: I would probably buy a few plants with the same amount of money !
    ...but I still prefer to see everything coming up from seed especially now when I know how to get rid of snails...

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Probably £45 £50 ish although I raerly buy any. Most of the plants in my garden are ones ive been asked to take out by customers and saved or were there before.

11. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You Bar-steward Paul,.........................Whats your fav you have been given and anychance of a pic m8:)

12. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    A blue spruce that ive since bonsaied in a half barrel, also two nice mature blue berrys.

Loads of iris etc.

Ill get a pic tommorow.

13. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good Man:thumb:

14. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I rarely can achieve a visit to the garden centre without buying a plant - but those impulse gotta haves tend to be up to about £10.:) Mostly I get small plants and grow them on. Occassionally I will search for a very specific plant I want e.g. shrub or tree, and in that case the price is higher - as I have usually researched the specific variety - and may need to get it mail order. Even with postage and packing an individual plant will rarely exceed £30.

But and its a big but, in spring when I go splurging on plants and other gardening bits for infill for the summer and repair - then the total bill that one time could be much higher, especially on a sunny day:).

15. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Having discovered that the range of seeds available is so much wider (and so much cheaper) than the range of plants available, I would shudder at paying £8 for a plant when you can get 20 plants from a £2 packet of seed.

I think the secret comes from patience and planning ahead, but that probably only comes once your garden is full of plants. You can then afford to have a pipeline, where you sow seeds and are not worried that it may be three or four years before they flower. For every new seed that I sow this year something sowed last year or the year before will have reached maturity and be ready to bloom.