1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How on earth am I going to store this!

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Fat Controller, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,612
    I made a bit of a spur of the moment purchase online the other day, admittedly I might not have been completely sober when I did so.

We quite like a pizza in this house, but as most of you will know they are quite expensive to buy ready made (and daylight robbery if they are pre-cooked!); as we have a good breadmaker that makes fantastic dough, I wanted to take an opportunity to allow us to make our own pizzas easier, and quicker.

I am going to portion up things like onions, grated cheese (you know, those ends of blocks that are going to sit in the fridge and go hard...), sliced mushrooms, sweetcorn etc pop them in wee vacuum bags and then freeze them in individual portions. The idea being that we can then just pull out which ones we want, defrost them (not always necessary) and make our own pizza.

So, when a catering size pack of spicy pizza topping sauce appeared online - extra, extra cheap - I thought it was ideal to get it and then work out a way to portion it up to store it to use on our homemade pizzas.

Now, this is where the lack of thinking comes in....... the pack, is a bag... a bag that contains no less than 3kg of sauce.

Oh, it gets better - I ordered two of them! :doh:

Now, I am reckoning that I will also be able to use it as a base for soups, stews and curry as it is essentially going to be a spicy pasata, but 6kg!!!

Freezer space is a bit limited (I have some, and space will increase with time), so I can put some of it into the freezer; I could potentially get it all in, but that would depend on how many portions and how much the packaging for those portions adds to the space used :scratch:

So, any suggestions as to what size would be a sensible portion size (even if it means I need to use multiples of that for stews etc), and how best to store this stuff?

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    I've always worked on about a quarter pint per person when it comes to sauce, best thing to do is cook up a little pasta as a trial, chuck a measured amount of sauce at it and see how that works for you..adjust as you see fit.

Storage, forget containers..too bulky. Use zip loc bags, portion up and stack them in freezer one on top of the other..FLAT!

Maximises space and quick to defrost too.

Good luck ! and...

Never shop with a glass in hand...

Steve...:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • toppington

toppington Tiny garden, always on the cheap!

Ratings:
      +1,179
      6kg is rather a lot of pizza sauce topping! heeheehee.

Defnitely heed @Steve R idea about the freezing things flat. Ziploc freezer bags are the best. In regard to how much sauce you need for a pizza, this is totally down to two factors. How big will your pizza be, and how saucy do you like it?

I make my own pizza bases and freeze them part-cooked, with sauce and toppings on. Mine are about 20cm x 15cm (to fit a small baking tray!), thin based, and take about 2 tablespoons of topping sauce.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        If restricted to freezing stuff like that, save Tetra Pak cartons, such as 250ml, or 1L, and fill with one, two, three, etc. freezer bags of whatever you want with all air excluded and stacked inside, allowing some room for expansion. That should create the most effecient shapes for freezer storage.

Another storage solution is to use a pasteurising boiler and bottle (AKA canning) the stuff. I use one of these Stainless Steel Digital Pasteuriser which I use for preserving apple/pear/elderberry/raspberry/loganberry/blackberry/strawberry/etc. juices, tomato sauce, plus other fruit/veg. NB You may need to increase acidity before pasteurising.

• Creative Creative x 1
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,612
          Much as I would love one of those @Scrungee, I cannot afford one at the moment, so it will be zip-lock bags I think. I will initially leave them fully sealed when they arrived until I can get plenty of bags I think.

I did wonder about using ice cube trays to make them into ice cubes, and then storing them in zip-lock bags, but that would take forever I reckon?

Thanks all :)

• Agree Agree x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,493
            You can use the zip lock bags (or any bag that doesn't have holes in it) and just get any square/rectangular container and put them in it. Let them freeze and then take the bags out and stack them any old how to fit gaps in the freezer. You can then use the container for another batch.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              You do not need to pay that extra amount to purchase "zip-locked" bags; *any* freezer bag will do (just tie a knot in it) if you suck out the air through a straw (free from most fast food places). Lay them flat and proceed as above.

Of course, storing just the spiced tomato sauce is one way of using it. However, you could use a good amount of it to make up a basic "minced beef" sauce (freeze portions a la flat freezer bag method, or Scrungee Tetra Pak method).
              That spiced beef sauce will then make: bolognaise sauce; chilli sauce; enchilada base; lasagne base; calzone filling; pizza topping; heck, it would even make a tasty "stew" base which could ring the changes with a) dumpling topping; b) savoury scone topping; c) French bread slice with toasted cheese topping: or, a spicy cottage pie, spicy sloppy joes; and, if you get so bored after all of those options, mix it with a high proportion of breadcrumbs (better still, a packet of sage and onion stuffing) and turn it into a spiced beef meatloaf!! As a meatloaf, it could be served as it is after being baked or: serve it with a tomato sauce; bake it with a mashed potato topping.
              That spiced beef sauce would also go a treat as a topping for a jacket potato; but, when you are down to the last tablespoon or two, it would also go great as a filler for a "toastie" (served with a green salad on the side).

Bear in mind that the ideas above could work equally well with chicken.

A spiced tomato base would be great for making a chorizo and chickpea goulash!

A spicy tomato base would also work well with red lentils to make a spicy dhal (served with rice). It could also work as a base for making a tasty curry (be it vegetable, meat, fish or poulty).

When all else fails, a spicy tomato base turns a humble fish finger into a bit of a cordon bleu meal, with a cheese topping, for the savvy chef who isn't afraid to take humble ingredients, serve them with flair and forget that it is a meal on the frugal spectrum because it simply tastes ... good!!!

In a nutshell: haven't the foggiest idea how you could use it up :dunno:

• Funny Funny x 1