How to apply Sulphur Rose

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by groundbeetle, May 11, 2022.

1. groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
    +443
    I think this is the section of the forum to post this question in?

I want to know the best way to apply Sulphur Rose, for mildew and black spot.

In the past I have mixed the powder and water up in a spray bottle, given it a shake, and sprayed it on the roses, but always this has clogged up the spray mechanism and more or less completely damaged the spray bottle. It has a narrow opening, so difficult to mix the Sulphur Rose with water in a another container to try to thoroughly dissolve it before putting it in the spray bottle.

Today I tried it in a watering can with wide holes so nothing got clogged up, I mixed the Sulphur Rose with water in the watering can and gave it a swirl to dissolve. Just using three heaped spoonfuls to half a gallon, in a 2 gallon watering can. Maybe not a fine enough spray, but it did seem to take to the leaves.

Also, how on earth do you manage to spray the undersides of rose leaves?

I might add, the last time I used Sulphur Rose a couple of months ago on my miniature rose Estrelita de Oro, which seems prone to blackspot, it did clear it beautifully and now Estrelita de Oro looks very healthy. This did write off a spray bottle though.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    I've had the same problem.
    I think it's because, I might be wrong, sulphur isn't soluble, so it's very finely ground to get it through a sprayer.

You have to keep shaking it all the time to keep it in suspension, but it still tends to clog.
    Keeping the pressure high also helps.

• Informative Informative x 1