How to deal with weed covered lawn quickly

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by mattdale77, Jun 7, 2010.

1. mattdale77

mattdale77 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a lawn area than has more weeds than grass. It is also in a shady area.

I would like to get this looking presentable but only have 8-10 weeks before I'll be moving away.

I would like some advice on how to tackle this in a way that will give a presentable lawn or the beginning of one with as few weeds as possible

Two of the more prevalent weeds are dandelions and nettles but there are a couple of others I don't recognise

Any advice welcome

2. Butterfield

Butterfield Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Could you try and tone down some of the worst parts with large pots or garden furniture? If you are leaving shortly, there's not much you can do and you don't know what the next people living there will want to do with the lawn. We use a company called Green Thumb (their treatments get rid of weeds and add fertilizers etc) and our grass looks much better now.

3. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Presumably those moving in after you will have seen the property and the accompanying lawn so I guess it's condition won't come as that much of a surprise.

You could try something which is labelled 'weed and feed' - even a cheapie one from a supermarket will work well, but I do warn (from personal experience) that it will weed very successfully and feed what grass is there - although being a novice at the time, it didn't actually occur to me that I'd need to do something about the bald patches the 'weed' bit had dealt with!

You could take Butterfield's advice; you could go the 'whole hog', rip up the lawn and lay new turf : dig up the worst areas and make impromptu flower beds or you could treat it as above. However, with just 8 weeks to go (and presumably plenty of other things to do during that time), I'd just give it a mow a couple of days before you leave - even our weed riddled grass patch looked like a lawn immediately after being cut.