How to encourage new branches on lower hawthorn hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sharon j, Apr 16, 2023.

1. sharon j

sharon j Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

The branches on the lower half of our Hawthorn hedge were completely cut off. It doesn’t look too bad from our side of the hedge, however, pretty horrible from the public footpath which runs the other side. We would now like to encourage growth of new branches so that the hedge is full and bushy down to ground level. We would be grateful if anyone can tell us how to do this? We have been advised to nick the lower trunks with a Stanley knife or similar to encourage new growth. If this is the right way to proceed, how far apart and how deep would you advise we make the nicks in the trunks, also how long will it take for the branches to start sprouting? Apologies for my ignorance, not a clue what I’m doing! Any assistance gratefully received.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I get the notching idea above a bud, just makes that bud think the stem has been cut off above it and get the dormant bud to grow, you have to remove a piece of bark back to the wood.

You probably not wanting to get involved in hedge laying I suspect, but you could try it on a few stems if possible.
    Google it there are some videos on youtube

3. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,769
    Hedge laying is the way to go, but it's quite a lot of work. The principle is simple enough, just hard work. Basically you cut all the branches off one side of each main stem, then cut part way through the base on the opposite side to where you cut the branches off. Carefully push the whole plant sideways, so the side you cut the branches off is close to the ground. Secure somehow so it doesn't just spring back up, and that's about it. Be careful not to bend it so far that the sap has to flow downwards, ie no part of the plant should end up lower than the cut near the base, or it will likely die off.

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,571
      A good way of keeping warm on a cold winters day.
      Usually you would cut half way through the main stem then pull i down towards the ground. Push some of the branches you cut off into the ground and fasten the bent over stem to these, traditionally would have used long bramble shoots or stems from Clematis vitalba (Old Mans Beard). With a bit of luck some of the branches you push into the ground will root.

• Informative Informative x 1