How to find a Pond leak

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Garden Apprentice, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Garden Apprentice

Garden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    After watching it loose water at a time when evaporation should have been low, i have come to the concusion that dropping water levels in my pond could be due to a small leak (caused possibly by birds). I need to find this leak and if possible fix it but i have no i dea where to start. I know roughly the area, but narrowing this down is proving difficult.

can any one suggest any tip sfor locating the leak please?

2. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi GC,the only solution i can think of is to quietly dig around outside were you think the leaks is and this may help to locate the spot,if its high enough it may allow you to let some water out to effect a repair,i assume its a liner pond? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Garden Apprentice

Garden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Macleaf. Might try that. Thing is the area is on the shallow 'beach' area of the pond and the soil/rock underneath is very hard (only just managed to get enough out for the beach in the first place), so it may not be possible.

But if no alternative will have to try.

Thanks again.

4. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    might just have to drain,however if you think the birds done it it must be near the top,? [​IMG]