How to get rid of foxes from the garden.

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by kels, May 26, 2012.

1. kels

kels Gardener

Ratings:
    +27
    We have had a couple of visit from foxes..there is no food no rubbish nothing we think that attracts them..But something is as they keep coming back..what is the best way to get rid of them..

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Are they a problem? If you have smaller livestock/pets then I guess the answer is yes, otherwise I doubt they'd cause a problem would they?

3. kels

kels Gardener

Ratings:
    +27
    We have two cats and yes one fox has come upto the passage way door x2..So yes is a problem.. we have to find a way to keep them out.

4. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I doubt a fox would pose a threat to your cats. However I can't understand that you wouldn't want to put that to the test. Unfortunately, short of getting a big dog, I don't know how you would humanely deter the foxes.

5. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you know where abouts they actually come into your garden ...the males of the house should 'mark their territory' in that area....worth a try...:dbgrtmb:

6. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
  7. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    As that device is also 'anti-cat' it's probably not be an appropriate solution, as kels has cats:

8. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I know she has cats .... I read her post

but is she wants to get rid of the foxes, that will help .... and her cats can use the front garden (or the neighbour's garden)

there's not much else on the market that works for foxes

9. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Alternatively, one can apparently collect bags of hair cuttings from local barbers, spread them along the garden boundaries and then drench them in male human urine. I have not tried this myself, but it does come highly recommended.

EDIT: Electronically denying access to cats/foxes to the rear garden will not solve any potential fox/cat confrontation problems in other areas, like the front garden, or neighbours' gardens as suggested.

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

Ratings:
      +19,596
      There's shotguns.

I know its up to the everyone to make up their own mind, but I don't like the electronic deterrents. They invariably rely on very loud bursts of ultrasonic sound, way above the human hearing range but will within the hearing range of most animals. That includes totally innocent bystanders, like bats and hedgehogs.

There's also another consideration that is so often overlooked. Some of these devices operate at around 25khz. Now most people on hear wouldn't stand a chance of being bothered by sound of that frequency, but young kids often can hear it, though because they are kids and adults can't hear it, it just gets dismissed because of course humans can't hear it, its in the ultrasonic band above the human range.

Personally, if I was the gaffer, I'd ban all of them unless someone could prove that they are not just effectively a way of doing an audio carpet bombing of a wide area, to the detriment of every creature within 100 yards or more that happens to be blessed with a pair of working ears.

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      I urge many of my clients to buy them as cat detrerrents ... we normally get them from the local maplins ...

I even have clients who own cats that use them .... they add a cat flap to the front door .... cat does not go into the back garden and trash expensive plants everytime it wants to go to the toilet (which can be several times a day) ....

I don't dislike cats .... but I prefer plants

• clueless1

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Then where do their cats go? What sort of person would choose to keep a pet and then force it to make the choice of having its ear drums blasted out in its own garden, or go off and use someone else's?

• Like Like x 1
      • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Still reckon Peeing round the perimeter of your garden is the most pet/eco friendly option....(pardon me for being so blunt):biggrin::dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
        • clueless1

Ratings:
          +19,596
          A combination of 'marking my territory' and the very ocassional high speed pursuit seems to keep the neighbourhood cats out of my garden. There is one tom cat that lives a few doors away, who has tried to oust me. He knows now. Having been chased several times, and having once got himself trapped for a few hours in our greenhouse, he seems I see him less and less often inside our boundary these days. He still walks along the fence at the bottom end of the garden, and we stare at each other as he does so, then if I'm in the mood I'll give him a chase just to make sure he doesn't forget.

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +90,543
            I get the occasional fox, but I dont consider it a problem.
            Ok I know they stink at times and there is always the flea and tick problem that might get passed onto my dog, along with mange, but I keep my dogs anti-parasite doseing up to date.
            I just think we should be able to live side by side with wildlife, lets face it, its humans that have lured them into city centres, even, with our rubbish left laying around.

My dog will chase them off the property, but they often come back after dark.
            Just be thankful you dont live in other parts of the world, where the predators have not yet been totally annihilated, like they have in the UK.

• Like Like x 2