1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How to grow chillies and peppers

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I have planted several types of chillies and peppers in small fibre pots in new seed compost.They were sown about three weeks ago.How long does it take for something to appear.They are in my shed which has a large bench in front of the window so they get the sun and they are in heated propagators.I have noticed that they tend to dry out very quickly would that be because they are in fibre pots which may soak up the moisture.Would they be better in normal plastic pots.

2. blacktulip

blacktulip Gardener

Ratings:
    +228
    The fast drying out is mainly caused by the heat from your heated propagator. Pepper seeds should be soaked (preferably with weak chamomile tea) first. Fibre or plastic pots shouldn't matter. Best germination temperature is 85F (30C).

Heated propagator tends to be too hot ( or maybe just mine... ) but I will leave the seed pots in the house, not using a heated propagator.

3. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I have planted several types of tomatoes and some have germinated also the cucumber seeds I planted have also germinated.Maybe I could try the airing cupboard if they can cope with the dark.It would a ideal temperature there

4. blacktulip

blacktulip Gardener

Ratings:
    +228
    Seeds don't need any light until germinated. Airing cupboard is very good place. Just check them everyday and move them out as soon as you can see tiny green things.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,636
      I used the airing cupboard for years, for germination, until I built a propagator.
      You do need to check twice a day though as in those temperatures seedings go leggy very fast.

Pepper seed needs quite a high temperature to germinate well, 80F is about right.

It's the growing on afterwards that is difficult as you need at least a min of 60F and more during the day, with good light, for them to do well.

PS, personally I dont like fibre/ peat pots, they start to rot and go mouldy, and the only advantage they have is you can plant pot and all, but why?:scratch: