How to kill a tree roots

Discussion in 'Trees' started by alan kearn, Jun 23, 2023.

1. alan kearn

alan kearn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Could some one give me some advice please.
    I have had a tree cut down about 8 weeks ago leaving just a 5/6 inch high stump and around 10/12 inches in diameter it was starting to affect a 5 feet retaining wall
    I have drilled about 30 holes three quarters of an inch in diameter and about 5 inch deep in the top of the stump to put in Roundup solution
    I have bought some Roundup Concetrate to kill the roots, will I need to fill up these holes more than once and how strong should the Roundup solution be to make sure I kill the roots

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I use SBK, and plug the holes in case it effects wildlife, not sure it would .

I think neat glyphosate might work also, but depending on tree type you might need to do it more than once and if its a suckering type tree, you might need to spray any suckers.

It would have probably been best if you had had the stump ground out.

3. Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,006
    What sort of tree? Something like ash is likely to sprout (but not if you've treated it with glyphosate! You'll only need to do that once, and a few ml of 360g/l glyphosate should suffice). You can buy granular potassium nitrate to pour into your holes; you'll need to keep the stump covered so that it stays moist to hurry the rot up.