1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make sure the potting soil is free of problems

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Elina, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Elina

Elina Gardener

Part time CEO, full time house manager/maid x Mum
    Ratings:
    +44
    Any home made recipes and tips?
    I have a big pot again it came with the house about 20 liters it has potting soil in it how to make sure that it don't has any disease before putting something new in it? In early spring it had verve flowers in it.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,046
    I'd be inclined to completely replace it as you don't know how long it has been in there and may be exhausted.

I sometimes make my own seed compost in small quantities by sterilizing soil from the garden in the microwave. I put it in a plastic back to stop it making a mess and cook it for a couple of minutes, that kills off any pests/bugs. Then mix it 50:50 with a shop bought MPC.

• Informative Informative x 2