1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How to prune a Solanum crispum 'Glasnevin' Potato Plant

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    We have a Potato Plant in our garden which we have had for about three years.We have never pruned it and do not know how to start and where to start.It is now getting quite large and spreading.We have a passion fruit plant next to it and it is now starting to take that plants space.Any advice appreciated

2. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    aug 11th (11).JPG Hi,i had the same problem,i just pruned it all the time,it grows so fast it was hard to keep on top of!...i hacked it down to the ground a few week back and hope it doesnt come back as i had clearly planted it in the wrong place.
    Here is a pic,the purple mass behind a work friend

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I had a solanum a few years back , nice flowering shrub. I pruned it back to waist height in Feb-March , this worked fine. For some reason I cut it back to 6" from the ground one year . That did not work :sad:

4. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    I sawn mine to 1mm above the ground @HarryS thanks for confirming itl never come back :)
    Ive got a cutting somewhere if you want it x

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,995
    pity it dont grow spuds:snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Spring is the best time to prune it and you can chop it back by a good third.

Now it the time to take cuttings for propagating which, to my mind, means that you could cut back some of the soft growth to tidy it up a bit. Problem with that is, of course, you would lose out on their beautiful flowers by doing it this time of year.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1