how to remove ant's nest using malathion

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Englishgirlinbrazil, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Englishgirlinbrazil

Englishgirlinbrazil Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    if you don't think I should have treated them using pesticide, please look away now! It's too late!

Having experimented with lots of other methods, I finally took the plunge and got the local product (Malathion) to try and tackle my large area of ants' nests. I unearthed a couple of nests with eggs and zapped them in particular

What I'd like to know is... how long does it take for them to die? Ie, if after 3 hours they are still running around merrily, has the product not worked or will it take longer?

and again, what is the effect it will have on the soil?

Sorry to keep asking, but can't find anything on the net about after effects of all these things.:halp:

Many thanks
    EGIB and the ants

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Welshgirlinchina,

Got no experience of that. Our big ants that form columns from one end of the house to the pine trees at the other end(there are millions of them) tried a brief sortée thru our outside bog, they were decended upon by the bog spiders, who quickly entombed loads of them in silk.

They didn't try that again.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,084
    I've killed ants nests in pots with Malathion, and it works very quickly.

But thats on our ants over here, dunno what your ones are like.

Cant get Malathion over here any more, its banned

Never noticed any bad effects on the soil if its used as directed

4. Englishgirlinbrazil

Englishgirlinbrazil Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks both,

yes, these seem to be in a field of their own. Our electrician has just told me that our doorbell isn't working because they ate through the electrics. Yikes! I'm getting a bit scared now.....!

EGIB