How to value timber?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by silu, Jan 9, 2016.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I had a huge (well over 100 years old) Ash taken down just over a year ago. The tree's trunk is very very straight which I would presume is important from a timber point of view? The timber shows no signs of rot or disease as far as I can tell. All the main branches have been sawn off it so it is just a huge piece of timber. Access to it is so so. You'd need to go into a grass field belonging to my neighbour and crane it out over a post and stob fence which could be dropped quite easily.
    We have sawn up most of the branches and are currently using this wood to keep us warm (wood burning stove). Being Ash the wood burns beautifully.
    My query is whether to try and sell the huge main trunk and if so how do I have a clue what it's worth? rather than taking on a fairly mammoth task of chopping it into manageable sized logs. My chainsaw only has a 16 inch blade. The girth of the tree is enormous and even having cut the trunk into discs I'd still have to cut the discs into quarters at the least to get them small enough. This would mean cutting against the grain of the wood and I can see me going through a fair number of chains! I have a very good log splitter to do a lot of the work but still it's the size of the timber which is the snag. I was wondering if I contacted a local saw mill to see if they'd be interested. I'd be quite happy to take manageable sized hardwood branches in exchange (stuff that is no use for milling) but I'd like to get a bit of knowledge on the subject before I contact them as otherwise I'll look the complete idiot and no doubt get done! If anybody has any knowledge or suggestions as to where/who I might get some idea from that would be great. Thanks.

2. Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    Can you give an idea of the length, and maximum/minimum diameter of the piece? Also, is is showing any signs of cracking?

3. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    You could saw it up into small bowl turning blanks and stick them up on ebay. If its spalted it may be more sellable than stuff in fair condition.

Ive found ash doesn't stand the elements as well as say oak so i would do something with it quickly

4. silu

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Hello @Sandy Ground!, hope you had a lovely time over the holiday period. I'll measure the item in question tomorrow as it's dark now. The measurements will be all trunk, ie no branches. As far as I know there are no cracks and if it make a difference it was felled so that it's not actually lying on the ground. It's suspended about 4 inches to 1ft above ground to make it easier if we decide to just get the chainsaw going on it. The tree was felled in October 2014. Thank you for at least attempting to help me get some idea of what's best to do.

5. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,125
    I dont think a mill will want to bother going for 1 trunk. You might be better seeking a furniture maker as a buyer. My local woodschool buy in single pieces if they are easy and close by.

• Like Like x 2
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,889
      Following Wee Tams idea Silu, perhaps you could advertise it locally, I'm sure that somebody that works with wood will be interested. It may be a good idea to leave it in one piece for the time being as it may be useful to someone who makes furniture. I'd include it's measurements in the advert too. :)

• silu

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Thanks both, I too thought the saw mill may not be interested in 1, be it enormous, tree. They are very local (about 6 mile away which might improve my chances).The snag as I've said before is the size. There is no way you'd get the trunk moved any other way than with a crane on the back of a lorry and even then it would need to be a big 1. I'll get the measurements tomorrow and you'll see what I mean! I suppose I could advertise it on the likes of Gumtree and see what happens.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,571
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +32,985
      Some people have moblie saws for placking, which could be cut up where it is
      upload_2016-1-10_8-4-53.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
      • silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Thanks @NigelJ & @Jiffy both bits of info are really interesting. It's raining (oh what a surprise NOT) so not been out to measure yet. Will hopefully get out sometime. The timber in your photo Jiffy is looking sort of what I'm talking about size wise apart obviously my trunk hasn't been chopped up yet. I do have some IMO past their sell by date Conifers (very very tall and straight ) which like most elderly Conifers are looking pretty tatty. Maybe I might get more interest if I offered them those at the same time. They are still standing (think there are 12) but know soft wood isn't so desirable. They are in my field so no worries re felling them.
        I love trees and indeed have planted over 50 of various varieties since moving here, so while the Ash had to come down (power lines) I haven't felled any trees which were healthy and not bothering anybody. There, however, is something in the back of my mind that's making me think you need permission to fell over a certain number of mature trees? Depending on what's decided I'd better check that as have no desire to maybe make a few bob off the trees and then am faced with a fine of 3 time what I made!:)

• Like Like x 1
        • silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Having stopped raining! The measurement of the timber are length 12.4 metres. Maximum width 1.4 metres. Minimum width 0.87 metres.

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
          Ratings:
          +5,368
          Ash is useful for several things, depending on the species and quality. That is something that affects the value.

Its still desirable for some high end cars. At the top end of its value, Bentley use well figured pieces of it as an expensive option for dashboards and other interior parts. Morgan use it for frames, as do some car restorers.

Lower down the value ladder, its used for quality furniture. If several wide boards can be quarter sawn from the same trunk, furniture makers would jump at it. I've lost touch with prices, but would hazard a guess that a 10" wide, 3" thick plank that is about 8' long would be valued at perhaps £70 or more. Wider pieces even higher.

Then it can be used for tool handles. Chances are, most members have a spade, rake, or other tool with an ash handle. For that use, its probably the best...

Further down the ladder, as was stated above, it can be used for bowl and spindle blanks.

Of course, it can also be burned...

I suppose what I am saying is that to the right buyer, depending on its species and quality, it could be valuable. To the wrong, almost worthless.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • silu

Ratings:
            +8,083
            Thank you very much @Sandy Ground, most interesting. As you correctly observe something is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it. My neighbouring farmer noticed me out measuring the tree (probably thought I'd lost the plot!). He reckons that there is over 4 tonnes of wood in the trunk. That's allowing for the fact that it's been down a year and so will have dried out a bit. The useful link @NigelJ gave me is actually for a business nor far from me (about 15 miles). I think I'll phone them on Monday and see if they are interested. I'd be happy for them to exchange my big trunk for 4 tonnes of their offcuts altho how do I know I will get back roughly the same quantity of wood? see this could be a trust situation....hhhhhmmmm! Anyway if the worst comes to the worst as the tree isn't a nuisance where it is we can always spent the next few years lopping off bits for the burner altho that would seem a bit of a waste to just burn what looks like a really lovely bit of timber.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +92,076
            By the way cut down trees are left, where they fall around here, I tend to think the timber involved would not be viable.
            If it had branches its sure to have large areas of twisted grain, might be of use to someone looking for that kind of thing.

I've worked with ash quite a lot over the years and from a joinery point of view its always been American white Ash, lone trees tend to produce poor quality timber.

It might appear dry, but once sawn it would need kiln drying or at the very least air drying for a few years.

Which kind of puts it into the hobbyist category rather than anything commercial IMO.

• silu

Ratings:
            +8,083
            Not quite sure what you mean re "if it had branches" @pete do all tree not have branches?:). The measurements of the trunk I have given is before any branches start.
            I would agree that timber left lying on the ground would no doubt fair badly but this trunk is suspended above ground slightly.
            I don't quite understand why a lone tree would grow badly? With less competition I would have thought a lone tree would grow better but I may well be wrong.
            I would however disagree with regards having to kiln dry/ leave for ages Ash wood to burn. We have had other Ash trees of similar age but not so big felled over the years. The wood burns superbly if left for a year and a couple of times we have burnt it green too with pretty fair results. We have also burnt our own Cherry Beech and Oak all of which need to be logged split and stored for a fair few years (Oak especially) but not Ash. Whatever happens the wood won't be wasted and left to rot.
            I found this poem on the net which pretty well sums up our experience of the different woods and how different they are.
            Logs to burn, logs to burn,
            Logs to save the coal a turn
            Here's a word to make you wise,
            When you hear the woodman's cries.
            Never heed his usual tale,
            That he has good logs for sale,
            But read these lines and really learn,
            the proper kind of logs to burn.

OAK logs will warm you well,
            If they're old and dry.
            LARCH logs of pine wood smell,
            But the sparks will fly.