hows your onions and shallots?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ruffmeister, Jun 4, 2007.

1. ruffmeister

ruffmeister Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

been down the plot to find the onions and shallots going wild with growth and thickening up nicely, nipped a few seed head of bolting red onions but bar that should be a good year for onions,

click here for pictures of our Impressive onions

hows yours? bigger? smaller? more bolt? or even the dreaded white rot?

other news this week, celery in, pumpkins in, brussels in, runners in, and dwarf beans in.

regards
    lottieblogs

2. edbev

edbev Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    anyone have any ideas why my spring onions seems to be growing so slowly - some have been in for 8 weeks now and are still only the size of cocktail sticks... i thought they were quite quick to crop, or do i have it wrong?

3. daveyp

daveyp Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    mine have been in about the same time and are about 6 inch tall,dont think the recent dodgy weather has helped much!they are in pots with compost.i have some in the ground too and they are gonna be ready to go in a week or two!give em time and now the weathers improving im sure they'll catch up!!

4. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    ruffmeister,

You can add a link to your blog HERE

[​IMG]

5. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Well these are my onions yesterday. They are Marco F1.
    [​IMG]
    These are the red onions, Red Baron. All seed raised. None have bolted as yet and no disease, touchwood. It is the first year I am growing them in this garden and I will be following a 4 year rotation.

[​IMG]

6. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Shallotts and Garlic doing great.

See pics on the link below.

7. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I`m very pleased with these.My friend has likened them to his japanese onions.I can`t remember what they are though. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi edbev

i put my sping onions in a pot mid feb and have already eaten some they have done so much better outside in the sun than on the window in the conservatory i have grown white lisbon and thought they were quite slow to grow i just put another 2 batches in pots about 6 weeks ago reakon they will be ready in another 3/4 ,

what are you growing them in and where abouts are they ?

9. Stokesy

Stokesy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there I am new to all this. My onions are getting big now have been in since early march was thinking of picking them soon how best should i do this and do i need to hang them to dry.
    Also how do I know how my garlic is ready and do i dry these out aswell?????
    Please help....

Also spuds on my other half of alotment are not coming to flower and leaves look like they are now dieing any idea??? spud on other half are great looking

10. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    My onions look about the same as yours, Geoff and Elaine. I had too many of them for the veg bed and some are scattered around the garden amongst the flowers!!!

My spuds are in flower and much bigger plants than I expected!

(My first time veggying too - great, innit!)

11. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My onions have really shot up since the photo. Will have to take another pic soon. Just hope the necks don't get too thick. At the back is a row of spring onions and they have been lovely.
    Before February this was all grass at my in laws house. When i go to get the salads I fill a box with several lettuce, salad leaves, radish, rocket, land cress and spring onions. Have also harvested two types of cabbage, baby carrots, beetroot, spinach and early spuds. Eating your own veg with no chemicals or sprays is fantastic.