1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hozelock - product quality poll

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Fat Controller, Jul 24, 2013.

?

What is the quality/value for money of Hozelock products?

1. Superb quality, but only the premium or high cost products

28.6%
  2. Superb quality for all products

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Poor quality for all products regardless of the price tag

50.0%
  4. Poor quality for the cheaper or specific products (please post which in thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. So bad I won't buy their product at all

21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,454
    As some of you may recall, I treated myself to a telescopic lance to water the various pots, planters etc around the garden; now, this has proved to be a boon, not least for the planters that I put up on the outhouse roof, but already I am wondering about the reliability/longevity of the thing.

Over the past couple of days, the trigger handle has seemed reluctant to release - yesterday, it stuck in the on position completely and it took me ages to get it to release, which involved semi-dismantling the thing and fiddling with the trigger until it released.

Now, it has had a few bumps and scrapes along the way (daily use, put down and picked up mostly on concrete slabs etc), however it has not been abused (indeed, how could you abuse what is a fairly simple thing like a hose attachment?); it wasn't cheap either, and I deliberately bought the metal one in the belief that paying a bit more for it would make it be more robust.

I will apply the universal tool to it before I give up on it (WD40), but I am less than chuffed with yet another Hozelock product - my last multi-spray gun lasted less than a season before it started leaking from the trigger, as well as other leaky or prematurely failing products.

So, a consensus please - are Hozelock products simply tat that is overpriced, but well marketed, or have I been very, very unlucky?

Also, are there any brands that are any better?

2. al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    I have had hozelock stuff for years and wether they are fixed to the tap end, reel end or indeed the hose end, they leak. Should be called hoseleak.

They are not bad, but they aren't good either. Average I would say.

I don't know about other products out there as I haven't used them, but I will try them eventually.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Had a Hozelock pressure sprayer for many years and was pleased with it. Eventually (maybe it was about 15 years old) I decided to get a new 1 this season...rubbish, drips and nothing like the quality of the old 1. Will not be buying Hozelock products in future.

• merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,087
      Absolute rubbish. Last two hose nozzles I've bought have not survived being left out over winter, whereas the cheapo ones have.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,222
        I can't comment on Hoselock as I buy cheapo products at a trade warehouse. I bought two spray attachments for the hose (seven settings on them) two years ago. They work well but leak a tiny amount and are in constant use - minimum of 45 minutes per day for the whole of the growing season. At £2.69 + VAT each I'm not unhappy with the result. I also bought a pack of three connectors for £1.60 + VAT. I don't know what they would retail at but they are good value. The make is Supagarden.

Have you emailed Hozelock to complain? I find that most manufacturers (or retailers - depending on how old they are) are very good. I recently had cause to complain that my pressure washer had packed up after 25 months. After some haggling I was given a brand new one. :dbgrtmb: (worth £200)

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Waiting for a reply from Hozelock re their expensive leaking sprayer. Will advise in due course.

• Like Like x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          I've used them for years both at work and home, its often the wand that gives up. Asked in the shop if I could buy a replacement wand & they could only order a minimum of 10.

If you can filter the water that goes in it makes them last longer, its often little bits of debris that mess the trigger up, they are not the easiest thing to clean out either.

I put a smear of Vaseline on the rubber diaphragm at the bottom of the pump too, stops them suddenly vomiting.

• Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,978
          I think they were decent some years ago but everything I have of theirs recently has been poor. I have tried two of the outdoor tap bits that pop into the end of hose section and both leak and occasionally just pop apart. Also I have a rather pricey multi sprayer sort of affair which has leaked from the rose after I had it for a few weeks so my feet get a soaking when watering anything. Won't buy again, though I'm not sure what brands are better ...

GG

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
            +21,620
            Their plastic connectors are dreadful. Leak everywhere. I got given some cheapo green ones from somewhere and they fit just that bit more snugly - no leak :)

Would still prefer brass fittings everywhere though

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            It seems like Hozelocks quality record has taken a bit off a dive on here this year . I know Val had a lot of problems with a hose reel. Looks like when I need any replacements i'll use thecheap green clones . Maybe admin could send this thread to Hozelock quality department for comment before there business leaks away .

• Like Like x 1
            • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +45,993
              I had this same problem, eventually returned it to the store for a refund as it wasn't cheap. Since then I've had one or two other makes, much cheaper but they haven't lasted me a year either. All the suppliers must be getting the same basic components from a factory in China - low quality plastic rubbish that is designed to fail after a year so you have to come back and buy another.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                +45,993
                Oh meant to say I only bought a hozelock multi-spray head to replace another I'd had for several years, that lasted well and had a rubber edges so was very tough. Sadly the bricklayer working on my extension stood on it, I should have know better but he had an eagle eye, could spot a line of brick out of skew by 1mm from half a mile away, but couldn't see a 2ft Hebe under his feet :dunno:

So what I'm saying is the quality used to be there, sadly now they badly made and just as expensive.

• nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
                Ratings:
                +2,908
                The only experience I have of Hozelock is the sprayer and reel at my house, don't know how old it is but guess what...it leaks! I wouldn't buy one if I had to, I'm a cheapskate.

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
                Ratings:
                +4,951
                I think Hozelock are OK.not marvellous but I suppose not bad for the price. The hose reel I had problems with was because that darned spring wasn't fitted correctly, now that it is the reel no longer leaks!! If you wanted to buy something that was well engineered it would cost a lot more.

Val

• Like Like x 1
                • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                  +12,667
                  I use Geka. Brass fittings (with rubber seal), including brass fittings with screw thread that go straight onto the tap. The greater the water pressure the tighter they lock, and the less they leak (you cannot get them apart when under pressure). You have to connect the hose to them with jubilee clip though, which puts some people off. Only one gender, so no additional male-male adaptor required, and the connect is a single size & fit regardless of the pipe size it is connected to (I use mostly 3/4", and some 1/2"). The connectors are a good price (particularly considering they are brass and can be left out all winter) and incredibly simple, so nothing to wrong.

B&Q has protected the images on their site and I can't be bothered to work around it so they have lost out on the free advertising and here are Homebase's instead:
                  [​IMG]
                  Y-connector £5.49 http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=427223

[​IMG]
                  Male-Male £4.49 http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=209747

[​IMG]
                  Connector £5.49 http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=040725

So to connect two hoses 2 x £5.49 + £4.49 = £15.47 and likely to break after a year or two.

Geka connectors:
                  [​IMG]
                  1/2" hose connector £3.60 http://www.cityirrigation.co.uk/acatalog/Geka-Hose-End-coupling-1-2--GKHE020.html - so to connect two hoses 2 x £3.60 = £7.20 and indestructible (£3.00 each if you buy 10 http://www.cityirrigation.co.uk/acatalog/Geka-Hose-End-coupling-1-2----Bag-of-10-GKHE020P_10.html)

Although the three-ways are expensive:
                  [​IMG]
                  £23.56 http://www.cityirrigation.co.uk/aca...sional-alternative-to-Hozelock-st-GK3WNT.html

Tap connection:

[​IMG]
                  Geka-BSP 1/2" £3.64 http://www.cityirrigation.co.uk/acatalog/Geka-Hose-coupling-with-female-1-2--BSP-Thread-GKFC020.html (£3.03 if you buy 10-off) brass connector will be completely water tight (might need some PTFE tape though ...). Fittings available up to 1.5" BSP

[​IMG]
                  £4.29 http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=174711 Plastic, can't make a good fit, easy to over-tighten, will leak sooner or later - probably sooner :(

spare washers:
                  [​IMG]
                  £3.49 http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=216517 (probably 10 in the packet?)

Geka replacement seals:
                  [​IMG]
                  £3.00 for 10 http://www.cityirrigation.co.uk/acatalog/Geka-seal-post-2000---Bag-of-10-GKSL2000P_10.html

• Like Like x 1
                  • Informative Informative x 1