Huge new zealand flax - can it be tamed?

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Paceman, May 13, 2024.

1. Paceman

Paceman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning all,
    first post on here. I should state I am not a gardener, I get told to do it, and it usually the heavy tasks like digging things out or cutting things back.
    We have in our garden a rather large New Zealand flax - probably 8ft tall. It's been there for the 10 years we've been in the house, and has never been touched. It is starting to take over the patio and looking a bit disheveled, but I'm very reluctant to remove it entirely as it fills the space well and I like the noise it makes when the wind blows through it.
    I've watched some videos and read some articles on how to trim it, but having started at the weekend, I don't think I can get to the base of all the leaves to remove the tall/dead ones so I'm a bit stuck.
    I completely removed some of the outer elements to reduce the size, but I fear if I do that all round it will end up looking a right state and never recover.
    Some pictures so you can see what I am dealing with....
    IMG_20240512_174321481.jpg
    IMG_20240512_174309140.jpg
    IMG_20240512_174259399.jpg

Any suggestions gratefully received

2. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    It looks like you're doing a good job so far. I have several Phormiums which I thin out after they have recovered from winter. First I remove all brown or discoloured leaves from the base, right around the plant, using either secateurs or strong scissors, as well as any faded flower stalks. I then remove all leaves that are touching the ground or encroaching on neighbouring plants. It's a time consuming process but if you try to create a neater vase shape it will look much better. It may look a little bare at the base when you've finished but it will soon bulk up again. You could also take some of the rootstock away with a spade to create divisions with leaves attached to the roots to plant elsewhere or give away. The roots can be quite tough and woody so you may need to use a pruning saw or something similar. Here's a couple of mine which I pruned earlier on in the year:

DSC00835.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,003
      Hi @Paceman - I have two large Phormiums (half the height of yours but still big) and I’ve just done my first neat-up of the year on them. I agree with @Plantminded in the method. I find scissors the best tool for cutting leaves as they are super tough. I take out brown stuff and cut off any long leaves that are flopping in the way, often lower ones. There’s often a natural ‘line’ where leaves are pointing down below and more vertical above (can see in yours) so you can cut about half of the downward ones so you are left with the rest hiding the base and a more natural rounded shape. I recommend gloves, glasses/goggles and a long-sleeved jacket when you are reaching and bending underneath! It takes ages so I usually do a trim in Spring and then take out any crazy leaves throughout the Summer with maybe another prune as needed. The leaves go in the council garden bin as they don’t compost. I love the flower spikes, but often they protrude onto my patio/path so they are culled if in the way.

• Like Like x 3