Huge rosemary rooted in tiny pots that are buried in the ground

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Shyamalie Satkunanandan, Jul 24, 2024.

1. Shyamalie Satkunanandan

Shyamalie Satkunanandan Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Two years ago I grew rosemary from cuttings in little pots and during winter to protect them I buried 5-6 pots outside in the garden. But I didn't did them up again.

Fast forward to now they're very big and the roots would have obviously outgrown the pots. Please see photos.

How best can I remove them to transfer to a large planter? Should I cut them down and dig around all the pots? And keep the plastic pots intact? Or should I just cut the roots off around each pot?
    PXL_20240721_193330265.jpg PXL_20240721_193336249.jpg PXL_20240721_193340796.jpg PXL_20240721_193348654.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2024
  2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,303
    Hi, I think the best way would be to dig up the whole lot by chopping round the pots and lifting the clump. Then tease/cut them apart getting rid of as much of the pots as possible. Then re-pot or plant in the ground. Depending how much root you have to sacrifice, it would be best to cut the top growth back a bit, too. If it's hot and sunny where you are, water them well and try to give them a bit of shade until they've recovered.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,981
      I think I'd start again with fresh cuttings.
      Does rosemary move easily, I know it roots easily.

• Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,685
      I would lift the plants with as much soil as possible, if the pots are plastic, cut them into narrow strips vertically and pull out as much of the pots as possible then replant the root ball in the larger container. Take some cuttings as backup, you can always give them away if the main plants survive.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
        +367
        In the past I have heard that rosemary doesn't like being moved but it's not a problem I have ever had. If it was mine I would gently disturb the soil around it and try to get as much root out with it. If you can get most of the roots then you can leave more top growth but if you can't get many of the roots out then I would cut them back a bit and replant.

• infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
        Ratings:
        +1,151
        If it were mine, a spade placed on the pot rim would split it vertically, the developing bush will do the rest.

• Shyamalie Satkunanandan

Shyamalie Satkunanandan Gardener

Ratings:
        +28
        Thank you so much for all the replies. I'll try to take the pots out as carefully as possible with advice above, and take cuttings as a back up too.

Thanks again!