Huge Rubber Plant Help

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Greybelle, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Greybelle

Greybelle Gardener

Ratings:
    +33
    I have an indoor rubber plant that is now about 8ft. 6 inches tall and my ceilings are 9 foot. Does anyone have any ideas what to do with it. Would air layering help as the rubber liquid inside the stem is white and sticky. Any ideas welcome. Thank you

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    You could air layer it, or i found that they do actually root from normal cuttings.
    If you just want to reduce the height you could cut it down to a sensible height and try some cuttings.

Personally I'd wait until spring or early summer next year, I know it's a house plant but even those know the time of year.

3. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,565
    @Greybelle a couple of decades ago I had exactly the same issue with one at work and air layered it with no problems, the latex inside did not cause a problem. I just cut into the stem at an angle about a third of the way through, packed some damp sphagnum moss into the cut and around the stem, wrapped the whole in cling film and left for 4 to 6 months at which point roots were obvious. The stem was cut through the bottom half discarded and the top half replnted in the pot with fresh compost.