Hydrangea not obeying chemistry

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by CarolineL, Jul 6, 2024.

1. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +5,009
    Last year a friend gave me a lovely bunch of clear blue hydrangea flowers. So when he was pruning it, I got some cuttings and rooted them. I planted out a couple (I admit they were root bound as I hadn't repotted enough). The photo shows the immature plant flowering bright pink despite the rhododendron in the background showing how acid the soil is. Is this just due to the flower being forced by root conditions? I hope so, as otherwise it's for the compost heap! IMG_20240706_104518715_HDR.jpg

2. On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,633
    We are on clay soil and the plants go to white/pink. So we wanted a blue one. Tried all sorts but to no avail then we added into the bottom of the trough MANY nails that were rusted.
    DSCN1249.JPG
    and this has been the result for some years now. Beautiful blue.

• Like Like x 2
    • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,899
      I don't think tight roots should be the problem. Hydrangeas don't seem to mind that and even in the ground their roots are small and shallow in relation to the size of the shrub above them, in my experience.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +93,112
      So, when did you plant out, what compost did you use in the pot, ericaceous I presume.

• Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,088
      The soil around here is only just slightly acidic.
      My neighbour has a hydrangea in the front garden which is sometimes pink and sometimes blue.
      I have one in the garden too which is usually pink, but occasionally blue.

If you want it to be blue, then you can buy hydrangea blueing powder that will change the colour.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +5,148
        They can be both colours round here on the same plant. They're flowering earlier here this year and I've noticed a lot of them are double coloured - maybe more than usual, but perhaps it's just because the weather has suited them so well this year, being much milder when buds were appearing and growth starting sooner than normal.

Our soil is neutral to acidic - and that's fine for rhodos too. The vast majority really don't need acidic soil to grow well. It's poor, alkaline soil that affects them :smile:

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
        Ratings:
        +5,009
        Good point @pete. I only recently planted it out - if it's roots haven't yet ventured into my acid soil, the compost in the pot was just MPC, so that may be affecting it. The source plant is growing in a garden less than a mile away, with nothing done to the soil. So I had high hopes. Yours is a lovely colour @On the Levels but this one (originally) is a clear pale sky blue which I want.

• Informative Informative x 1