hydrangea parasite

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by prometheus, Jun 11, 2005.

1. prometheus

prometheus Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not an experienced gardener by any stretch of the imagination, but i was recently looking at some hydrangeas and I noticed that they we're covered with what looked like lots of medium sized larvae. However, when I removed on of the leaves, i found that they don't seem to be larvae at all. They have a marshmallow like texture throughout (no internal organs) and I think they may be a fungus of some sort. They cover all the abaxial sides of the leaves and the stems (possibly gaining entry through stomata and pores?), are around 6mm in length and have a brown hard bit at the head (the other end is attached to the leaf). I was wondering if anyone had any idea what they are, as I have looked in books and on the internet, and have so far not found anything. Any information would be a great help. (I've included a link to 2 photos of a leaf with them on). Also, on the adaxial side of the leaf a lot of sap is being released and the leaf has gone purple in the middle and yellow and dry round the edges).

Thanks a lot

2 photos of the leaf

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I wouldn't say fungus...looks more like a mealy bug or wooly aphid type of creature...is it possible to get a clearer close up?

3. lynne

lynne Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  4. prometheus

prometheus Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Aha, thats it! Thanx a lot, thats fantastic :D