1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydrangea Wilts

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Gail_68, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,225
    My H aspera wilts if it doesn't get watered every 3 or 4 days. I have tried adding some organic material to the soil, but doesn't seem to have made much difference

• Like Like x 1
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Sirius my back hydrangea is an aspera and it never wilts :scratch:

• Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      @luciusmaximus hubby as measured the back hydrangea just over 2ft in height mate :loll: and still maturing :yay:

• Like Like x 1
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        @Sirius here's my hydrangea Aspera in the back garden in full sun exposure but watered every 2 days in the summer and it never Wilts :)

thumbnail_SDC15587.jpg

• Like Like x 1
        • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
          Ratings:
          +6,899
          They are mature plants inherited with the property. They had been neglected for quite awhile but have done well for me with regular pruning and feeding. I leave my pruning until Spring and leave flowerheads on as well.

• Like Like x 1
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Hi Lucius...my elderly neighbour never as her two cut back only the flower heads cut off in spring and both hers look about 3ft but the pure white one is big width wise.

Sounds like yours are really matured coming with the property but at least you take care of them..some people never do and just let them keep coming naturally :)

• luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
            Ratings:
            +6,899
            I'm certainly no expert on Hydrangea but I tend to think that they do better if pruned yearly to remove dead wood, fed, kept hydrated and roots kept cool. It works here anyway. I do the three in one pruning on them, except for one of them last year which received a very drastic haircut :snorky:. This was one of the Hydrangeas uncovered from the overgrowth and it was looking very sorry for itself. So I cut it right back in the Spring. Didn't expect to see any flowers but was hoping for strong regrowth. I got both :)

• Like Like x 1
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              I always do my plants in the autumn while dealing with dead leaves flying off :wallbanging:...I might get another leaf sucker as I gave my other to my neighbour :gaah:
              Well i'm no expert either and we can only go by experience of how the plants reappear the next year but cutting them back like we do...helps regenerate new growth in the stems and like you say cuts away dead stems.
              Oh I am pleased the one you found did a full recovery mate I bet you am pleased :thumbsup:

I cut mine this low and it's the one on the back on the pic above ;)

20180428_154326.jpg

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
              +17,487
              Ideally, hydrangeas should not need watering every couple of days or so and should not be wilting. If they do and are then they are plants in the wrong place. Actually, no plant should need to be watered in this way.....eventually, the drying out and rehydrating will take a toll on them:noidea:
              I see so many awful hydrangeas.....also some fantastic ones; here in Cornwall magnificent blue specimens can be seen and appreciated. They are grown in conditions to suit....acid soil (blue), shelter and with good moisture.

Pruning varies according to variety but lucius is right to remove dead wood leggy (unproductive) wood. A balanced feed in spring followed by a thick organic mulch does wonders for all of them.:)

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Well at least your trying and not letting it knock you back mate because yesterday I would have gone for the beach as it throws you back...yes I hope your coping alright downing your room as well :thumbsup:

• Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Hello Verdun...with how hot it gets on this back with temps going up...we've always done all the plants every couple of days..also because of the gravel being down...just this winter killed off several of my plants as you know but they thrive otherwise.
                I'll just keep an eye on that one that wilts..as it's also had plant feed like the rest and if it doesn't show signs of flowering or maturing great then maybe looks for something different :)

• luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
                Ratings:
                +6,899
                I see some awful Hydrangeas up here too Verdun :sad:. Weak, scraggly looking plants. Shame as they can be quite magnificent shrubs under the right conditions.

I've been considering a Hydrangea Paniculata for my side garden. I saw one in a garden last year and it was truly lovely:wub2:. Lots of Bees and Butterflies around it too.

• Like Like x 1
                • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Morning mate, i'd get one if you like them that much as you know how to treat them which is a bonus :thumbsup:

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                  +17,487
                  Lucius, Paniculata limelight has to be my favourite hydrangea.:) ...I posted several pics last year and will do so again this year. Huge slightly lime green flowers turn to white in summer. Easy plant that can be pruned to the ground in early spring or left unpruned...it flowers regardless.

I am trying out a couple of new dwarf PG varieties incl one called Bombshell.....isnt the garden exciting when new plants promise us something different?:)

• Like Like x 1
                  • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    Verdun are you trying out the cone shape in the Bombshell or just normal round and what colour have you got? :)