1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hydrangeas - When to plant?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by jazzy, Jul 9, 2018.

1. jazzy

jazzy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I am hoping to plant some hydrangeas in my garden. What is the best time of the year to plant these? Thanks

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +9,475
    Hi Jazzy :)
    You can plant at any time but watering is the key thing now. Right now though it is hot:SUNsmile:. I would prefer to wait until September and plant then. Remember that hydrangeas like plenty of water so good moist soil is essential. Shade or semi shade too :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • jazzy

Ratings:
      +3
      Thank you.
      It looks like the spot that I have chosen for planting the hydrangeas will be no good, it's full sun and south facing. Any suggestions for a plant that is similar to hydrangeas and can cope with full sun?

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +9,475
      Check out choisya jazzy:)
      Its evergreen, has aromatic attractive foliage, has delightfully scented white flowers in spring and esrly summer (hence its popular name of mexican orange) and can be pruned to maintain its nice mounded shape. :) It will enjoy that spot.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • jazzy

Ratings:
        +3
        Thanks.
        Choisya does seem the ideal plant. I remember the smell of these plants from the past and it is lovely.
        Would September also be the best time to plant Choisya?

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +9,475
        Yes slightly jazzy, but if you see a good one somewhere you can plant it without problems. The advantages of planting choisya now are, one it will look good now and, two, it will develop and grow that much more during the summer to make a better impact over winter. Even though choisyas like it drier, water it well at planting time and again once a week or so for the rest of the summer :smile:

My choice would be to get it in now:)

• Like Like x 1