Hydroponic Tomatoes, my grow

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by tahsocks, Sep 1, 2011.

1. tahsocks

tahsocks Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

So I've posted a few times regarding hydroponics and tomatoes. I've been growing hydroponically for just 6 weeks (new hobby!) and have been gardening in general for about as long.

So I made my own hydroponic ebb and flow system, got some lights and decided to have a stab at growing some San-Marzano tomatoes.

The reason for this is that (here in the North...) growing tomatoes outdoors is fairly difficult - my 5 plants outside (no green house :() are yellow, blown over, bug eaten.. although have produced around 30 tomatoes between them (only 1 of which is red!).

I hope you like my hydroponic pictures, and please let me know what you think of my nearly 5 week old toms :)

I've put them on google docs... I hope the link works ok :B

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bz...NjdjNC00MzFhLThiMzItODRlZmM0ZjM1YmI5&hl=en_US

Let me know what you think! Cannot believe how fast they have grown :)

2. OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,615
    Blimey - those are doing well - do keep us updated, Ive thought about doing something similar a couple of times & never quite gotten around too it.

I do remember reading somewhere else on the internet that its quite easy to supplement the white light by adding a string of cheap led xmas tree lights of the required colour, since you can hang them around the areas where the fruit develops. Dont know how true that actually is but it sounds like it might look quite pretty !

Keep up the good work!

Nick.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995