1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Hypericum ID please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Sienna's Blossom, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Sienna's Blossom

Sienna's Blossom Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,938
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hi,
    I ordered two Hypericum Hidcote online, and have received two plants today, I was expecting yellow flowers, but the flowers are white? And I wasn't sure if the leaves looked right either. They are only small, 1l pots I think.
    I know there are lots of varieties of hypericum, but can't seem to find anything online that looks like what I have.

Any ideas?

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
    Ratings:
    +3,269
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Sienna's Blossom

Ratings:
      +1,938
      Haha, don't be sorry, I was starting to think it couldn't possibly be one myself.
      Oh dear!

I will have to see what potentilla are like and if I could use it instead, otherwise they'll be going back.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Sienna, simply contact the supplier......you will receive your hypericums and prob be told to keep potentillas. :) Win, win :). Excellent shrubs all round for the summer border :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Sienna's Blossom

Ratings:
        +1,938
        That's what they've said @Verdun so fingers crossed the right ones turn up next week.

We will find a spot for the potentillas, and plant them out later when it cools down. Apparently they prefer poor, drier soil? Ours is mostly heavy clay, but we do have somewhere in the front garden that might work.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Well done Sienna
          Hmmmm! Potentillas thrive here in hot baked spots and in heavier soils but I have grown them in all sorts of situations but full sun or plenty of sun is key I think to long flowering. Very adaptable shrubs. Summer flowering white shrubs look so good with most everything too.
          I would always add some goodness to the planting hole; water really well for first few weeks though :)
          You could pot them up until you are sure where you want them.....???:)

• Like Like x 1