hypertufa ingredients - what is peat moss?!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jamie T, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Jamie T

Jamie T Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya folks.

I'd like to have a go at making some Hypertufa pots. I've done a bit of research online on what i need, and the only thing that has stumped me is "Peat moss".

In my attempt to do a bit more research i've discovered that Sphagnum moss is sometimes called Peat moss. Also Wikipedia states "A distinction is made between sphagnum moss, the live moss growing on top of a peat bog on one hand, and sphagnum peat moss (North American usage) or sphagnum peat (British usage) on the other, the latter being the decaying matter underneath"

Now i'm really confused! A couple of videos that i've seen show people using what looks to me to be plain peat. But i was under the impression that the use of peat generally in gardening is frowned apon, so can't imagine being able to walk into my local garden centre and pick up a big bag of it!

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Jamie

2. peter m

peter m Apprentice Gardener

KP
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi pretty sure you can buy peat moss in garden centers as you use it to plant Heathers i may be wrong :scratch:

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Its sphagnum moss peat, the brown stuff not the black sedge peat.

Its still available but not as easy to find as it used to be.

Its the stuff you see in bales, compressed.

Dont buy sphagnum moss, which is used for lining hanging baskets.