Hypertufa

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Elliegreenwelly, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Elliegreenwelly

Elliegreenwelly Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Has anyone tried this? Is it worth the effort. I've a large old belfast sink I'd like to make stone, I could just use concrete but have read about hypertufa. I'd also like to make a smaller trough for the front garden but don't have a mold. I can't afford real stone. I would welcome anyone's tips or experience. Many thanks EGW :)

2. EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    For advice and tips on this, take a look at gardenartforum

I hope that this hasn't breached forum rules, and apologise in advance if it has.

• Like Like x 1
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,090
      I have tried it. I can't remember if I used a mould, I think I must have, probably an old cardboard box. I certainly used chicken wire to strengthen the form. The process is not difficult, you remove it from the box and give it a brush over with a stiff brush to wear off the corners and give it that organic look.

Sadly,it wasn't very durable, but I think I maybe got the cement/peat/vemiculite mix wrong. I wouldn't mind giving it another go.

My bro-in-law has some nice ones he made that have lasted for years.

• Like Like x 1