1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hyundai gardening equipment

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Mervyn Wilmington, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Mervyn Wilmington

Mervyn Wilmington Experienced Gardener

Ratings:
    +37
    I'm trying to lessen the weight of power equipment. For example, I have the 36v Black and Decker chainsaw, strimmer and hedge cutter. They are all very impressive.

However, I could use a long pole chainsaw. B&D don't make one in the 36v group. Hyundai do, but I can't find any reviews, etc. They do give a 3 year warranty.

I wondered whether any members had experience of this pole saw particularly, or Hyundai equipment more generally?

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,473
    I have no experience of their tools, but I actually wouldn't hesitate to give them a shot. Hyundai are of course known for cars here in the UK, but in actual fact in their home markets they make industrial equipment, ships, earth movers, electronics.....

They are currently pushing to expand quite a bit, but are doing so in the right way in my opinion; you only have to look at how far their cars have come in recent years (the Santa Fe that is coming next year should worry the German manufacturers) to see that they are making quality a key part of their business. I have dealt with their cars and dealers in the past, and always had excellent customer service.

They remind me very much of Samsung when they first came into the UK, to be honest.

I would give them a shot, not least as the likes of B&D don't make the type of item you are looking for.

3. Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
    +37
    That is helpful: thank you.

They do 'advertise' a wide range of equipment on their website, and the pole saw is not expensive in relative terms. I suppose I have liked the B&D equipment so much that I may be a little shy of going elsewhere. That said, I have some Lidl (Parkside) battery tools, and I was hesitant about those, but, so far, they have behaved very well. One, a reciprocating saw, paid for itself in no time. I had a line of laurels to 'prune'. Stems a bit too thin for a chainsaw, but hard work with a hand pruning saw. The Lidl saw did the job fine, and had served well since then. Easy cutting access between tight branches is also an asset.

I now have a long multi-stemmed willow branch to deal with. The branch is roughly parallel to the ground, but is just above reach without a ladder. I don't use a chainsaw on a ladder. If it is ever sensible, it isn't for someone 76 with vertigo and balance problems!

4. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,473
    B&D stuff is generally very good to be fair to them - best drill I have ever had is a B&D, but as you have found with the Lidl stuff there are other brands out there that are equally as competent.

I'm glad to hear that you are not using a chainsaw on a ladder, balance problems or not - if you are at the point where you need to go up a ladder with a chainsaw, then you really would have to take a lot more safety precautions.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the Hyundai one if you get it. :)

5. Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
    +37
    I haven't proceeded with the Hyundai mainly because the Black and Decker pole saw is £50 off the usual £150 via Amazon Prime. The offer finishes tomorrow It is only 18v, but the feedback is decent!

We shall see what we shall see...

• Like Like x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,852
      If you buy Hyundai and have it delivered make sure you check it for any damage before signing

I bought a water pump but it was damaged through bad handling, the pump is good and been working for a year no problems but the bottom plate was damaged but i repaired it

• Mervyn Wilmington

Ratings:
      +37
      I emailed Hyundai four days ago asking for further information about their pole saw. Not a word of any sort from them! Enough said?

I've used the B&D 18v pole saw this morning for the first time. For my needs, it is probably a better bet than the Hyundai anyway. I've only used it with the two sections. It is manageable at that length, but I shall 'look forward' to trying it with the third section! There are some higher branches. It may need a bit more care. The Hyundai is, I think, heavier.

However, for what it is, the B&D performs very well. I wanted to remove some branches and sub-branches from a weeping willow. The thickest would be around 6". It proved to be an easy job - one I have kept putting off. One slight downside is that oiling is not automatic: you have to apply a trickle every minute or two. No great hardship, unless you were trying to deal with a jungle.

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,473
        I'm really surprised, and disappointed, to hear that Hyundai haven't responded to you - I really thought better of them.

Glad you are happy with the B&D (which to be fair is pretty much a given with their stuff), and hope it serves you well :)