I don't know where to start - front garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by OnTheHut, Mar 4, 2011.

1. OnTheHut

OnTheHut Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I am a gardening newbie - and I have decided to tackle our front garden first after moving into our house.
    The problem I have is that I only have one day off a week, and I really want to start doing something with it asap.

At the moment, it is a square patch of grass, with what looks like very neglected flower beds all the way round. I think I can see a few daffodils popping up through the weeds!

I plan to strip the garden back to a blank canvas, to start again, and hopefully save any plants that may be there. There is a large long spindly plant, all on it's own, that had a single white flower and a few big leaves at the bottom in september - I have no idea what that is, so I may post a picture for ID when I can take one.

Ok - so once I have cleared the weeds, mown the grass and edged the flower beds into shape, what should I do with regards to soil and plants?!

It's a north facing garden, minimal direct sunlight, and from what I can see, without testing is that the soil is full of stones and it's more than likely clay type (I live near a village called Barton - Le - Clay)!

It is about 15 foot long by about 10 foot wide, and I have 2 x 120 litre compost bags in my back garden. Should I dig this into the soil? Will that be enough for a boarder of about a foot wide all the way round?

As you can see, I'm a bit new to all this! Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Daytona650

Daytona650 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi OnTheHut, and welcome.
    Sounds like you've pretty much got a good plan already. Yes, clear the weeds, mow the grass, get rid of everything that's dead, or that you don't like, and see what's left.

My next advice would be to get a few packets of seeds (veg or flowers), just cheap ones, sow in seed trays indoors (about now, or in the next few weeks), pot them on to larger pots when they start growing, then plant them all over the garden. This will give you some good colour/produce for this season with minimal work while you work out what you actaully want to do with it. I wouldn't bother with much composting or soil improvement at this stage, but just add a handful of compost in the hole before you plant your new seedlings. You can liquid feed them over the summer as they need it.
    Different plants have different soil requirements so you'll know what you need to do with the soil once you know what permanent plants you want.
    To help choose plants that are OK with little sun, and for other ideas, just look around your neighbours gardens. See what they're growing, and what looks healthy or not.

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi, I think the first thing is not to rush it! Personally, I would rejuvenate your border soil with the compost you got and it shouldn't take long to dig it in. That will give any border plants bedding, herbaceous, shrubby a chance to get away with a good start and you'll get a better result. You'll find as you learn more and get more experienced you'll change your mind about how'll you'll plan the front! I've got a North facing front garden and over the years put bedding in with reasonable results but now have Lavender. Japanese Anemones, variegated grasses, and Achemilles Mollis running the whole length of the borders. I find those plants give color, need little maintainance and will come back year after year. I'm sure you've got a idea of what you want gently fizzing away in your head and choice of plants is always personal, but I definitely would hearten up your border soil before planting, and then keep adding compost over the years. Good luck!!