I don't think my Molly has long left

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Lyn, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
  2. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    Oh Lyn, you brought tears to my eyes :(

Yes, you will get another four legged companion in time because their love and trust is what makes it all worthwhile, try to go with the flow and when it's time just be there and know she's going to a better place.

3. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    16 is a very good year to reach for a dog, so Molly has been obviously treated well. However death is inevitable for everybody, so I think that the best thing is just to occasionally remember the good times and look ahead.

The moment that you are fearing it is only a moment. But it is higly distressing to think about it too much.

4. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    I am soooo sorry Lyn. That is one of the hardest things to have to go through. I think it's as hard as if not harder than losing a person. Our pets are special, we are around them every day, we care for them, cuddle them, play with them, they trust and love us like no person can. I know what you're going through right now and wish I could just give you a hug. My thoughts and prayers are with you and lovely Molly.

5. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +77
  6. Tilia

Tilia Gardener

number herder (accounts)
    Ratings:
    +28
    Lyn, I'm so sorry to read this.

I went through losing my old cat a few years ago and it was tough. We fought his thyroid problems for years but in the end the kindest thing to do was to end his suffering. He had gone down hill suddenly.

I know I am new here, and I know this is a tough thing to hear, but would it be best to take him to the vet and see what they say? The last thing you want is for her to suffer :(

We love our fur-kids so strongly. As Catailz says, we spend so much time with them and we are their world, we are the only family they have (although I am not so sure about one of my cats), it is tough when it is time to say goodbye, but you have to remember the years of love and companionship they brought you. It is worth this pain I'm sure.

Don't worry about whether you are going to have another dog or not. It's not important at the moment. Just concentrate on being with your dear friend. If, in future you decide to have another, that's fine. If you decide not to, that's fine too.

Sending love and support to you and your family.

• Like Like x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,127
      oh dear Lyn, I really feel for you as I lost my wonderful Charley dog last October.. Also very old, but very ill suddenly... We kept him with us till the quality of life left him.. I couldn't watch him suffer any more.... It rocked me too the core I can tell you...
      Molly has been a wonderful & devoted friend to you & I am sure the most important member of your family.. She has appeared on GC many times & won a photo comp or two in the past as well... She has had a wonderful life with you too, but getting old & the problems it brings comes to us all... It will be hard I know but you will have so many wonderful memories... We humans are not cut out for losing pets or relatives it seems, but you will get through these bad times & they will fade from your memory so you will remember all the good times..
      As for tomorrow, well I know what I would do but that is just me.. I think you will know what to do as well Lyn... Take care & thinking of you both.. x

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      Sometimes the vet himself suggests that it is more clement towards everybody involved to put an animal to sleep, in order to shorten the distress for the animal and the owner.

But you really have to trust your vet judgement for that, or see with your own eyes that it is appropriate to take such a step.

• Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Ratings:
      +77
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,844
      I wish you and Molly well.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +54,162
      Lyn, when my old westie became very ill and had just a few months left a few years ago, I too had this difficult decision to make. She was in pain with liver failure.

She had spent a week at the vets being boosted with drugs. I'd brought her home for the weekend. I nursed her and watched her all weekend and looking into her eyes told me she was ready to go.

I took her to the vets on the Monday morning having stopped off for her last gentle walk first. I haven't regretted that decision even though it broke my heart. She was 14 years old.

She is now laying underneath my bird bath, where she chased the birds and drunk the water. :)

I feel for you...........and I've reduced myself to tears writing this.

Whatever your decision, she will help you make it.

• simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,318
      Lyn, know exactly how you feel, I'm sat here crying my eyes out myself, had to have my beautiful boy(Fudge) put to sleep on Friday he was a chocolate lab, nearly 11, and developed a cough a few weeks ago, the vet thought it was bronchitis but after 2 courses of antibiotics he was still no better so the vet decided to do a chest xray and found he had an enlarged heart and his lungs were full of fluid, put him on different tablets (13 a day in all) he did improve for a few days but became ill again very quickly on thursday night, like Sheal said the look in his eyes told us he'd had enough, the vet could do no more for him so we cuddled him while he was put to sleep(hardest thing I've done in my life) I can do nothing but cry at the moment but so glad we were with him, even the vet was reduced to tears he's treated Fudge for many years for epilepsy and a few other things.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +54,162
      This is a very soggy Gardeners Corner at the moment simbad. So sorry to hear about Fudge, they break our hearts, don't they?

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,371
      Lynn it is hard but you have to make the decission
      I lost Foxy, he had two strokes then his backend went and he could not walk
      His eyes told me
      I held him whilst the vet let him go

I hope someone will do that for me, if I am stuck in a nursing home

Do not let your friend suffer, to wait for the inevitable, he has had a long loving and well cared for life

Regards Jack McHammocklashing

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,353
      Hi Lynn
      Dont think you are by yourself.
      I know we have never met but as you can see , lots of people who understand how you feel & care.......

We are all thinking of Molly and you......

Spruce

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.