I HATE SNAILS

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Kandy, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    This is a photo of some of the snails collected from my garden and deposited in my recycling bin over the last two weeks.There is about the same amount actually in the bin it's self.I had roughly the same amount that went to the recycling centre a fortnight before.

My Regale Liliums that I had waited patiently to open got noshed to shreds and I only managed one photo.Give me slugs any day,at least I can salt them or use slug pellets which does the job very well{Hedgehogs and birds don't eat slugs only worms} but these are a different story altogether.I picked off over 25 from my broom bush the other week,and one night last week I must have collected fifty of the dam things from off of various garden plants....This is the year of the snail as far as I am concerned :mad: :eek:

[​IMG]

2. lottielou

lottielou Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Gosh I've never seen so many! Id never considered that snails were more difficult then slugs to deal with, it almost makes me appreciate my slug infestation (almost). Maybe you could get some chickens?

A little joke which I hope might lighten the situation:

Q) What did the slug say to the snail?

A) 'Big issue mate?'

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Birds do eat small slugs! So do hedgehogs but slugs provide only a tiny proportion of their diet.
    I have both. I prefer the snails as you can pick them up more easily!

4. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    Hi Kandy,
    That's a lot of snails. Do you bag the snails before you put them in the recycling? Otherwise they may climb out or stick to the sides when the bin-men empty it.

We also get snails but not anything like the amount of slugs. The snails have eaten all the leaves off our pineapple plant, except those at the very top. You would have thought that they would be a bit concerned about being 6 ft in the air on thin branches that are waving around in the wind. They probably have parachutes inside their shells! [​IMG]

6. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    That's horrible Kandy! I think I would bag them first and put some leaves in to keep them happy until the garbage men come.

Shiney, I see that as far as the snails go you can make a joke of it. Unlike the slugs.

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh Kandy I can so understand your frustration regarding snails before I moved never had a problem with them but boy do I have one now!

I have taken to stamping on them much to the distaste of my hubbie, but it's pretty much fun and I get my own back on the little critters for eating my plants!
    Helen.xxx.

8. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Shiney and KG as you can see from the photo,no I don't put them in a bag first because I don't want them to suffocate before they go off to their new place of work up the tip.

I went out and knocked them all off into the actual bin but by the time the bin men had come as you see some of them at slimed back up and stuck themselves to the lid again.There was as many inside the bin as on the lid so at least some went up the tip.I was hoping that the machinery shaking the bin would unstick them but obviously they are held on by super glue :D :eek:

Liz,I had two hedgehogs that I rescued some years back which I named Holly and Ivy and they turned their noses up at the slugs so I gave up offering them in the end. :rolleyes:

Lottielou,we can't keep chickens because we have two cats which would make a nice meal of the chucks.Love your joke though :D

9. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Kandy, I was thinking of brown paper carrier bags, or don't you get them any more. Failing them, how about large sandwich baggies?

10. Time

Time Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have put snails in plastic bags, but they get out by the next morning!

11. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    OMG - they are little Houdinis as well as parachuters!!!

12. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I think the title of this thread is misleading. Kandyfloss does not hate snails. She sends them off to a new home!! [​IMG]
    If it was me I would have gathered them all together and then dropped a brick on them. Alternatively a bucket of hot water, then they can go on the compost heap.
    I don't think a lot of things will eat slugs. If you touch one....accidentally, you get a whole pile of sticky slime which is like superglue. Blackbirds etc will find that really annoying. I used to have a resident song thrush and it was really satisfying to see that dispatching the snails on the path. Every so often I used to have to sweep up the shell fragments - a very messy eater.

13. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I hate snails though, we seem to have an influx of slugs and snails this year which seem to love cutting our lupins in half! I like to throw the snails at the tree trunk as hard as I can, that'll teach em to eat my lupins!!

14. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Send them to Gordon Ramsay, he will soon make them into a delicacy :D (did anyone see that episode of 'The F Word' ? )

15. Fonzie

Fonzie Gardener

Transportation
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have found that if I put a plastic collar around the base of a plant and smeare vasaline on the collar the slugs and snails leave the plants alone.
    It works for me!