I have started...... So I will finish! (Pictures).

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Chopper, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Well finally made a start on the work planned for the garden.

The second pond has been dug and set up, fish and plants already in. I will be addinga pump so that I have a waterfall between both ponds. Hopefully that will keep the water clear. Used some pebbles on one side of the new pond just to break up all the stone.

Next to the pond I have built a couple of tiers using railway sleepers. (Word of advice to anyone thinking of doing the same sort of thing. DON'T try to do it alone. Sleepers are very heavy).

I have moved the small 8X6 shed from the side of the house and will be adding a new roof to it tomorrow (Friday). All my garden tools will have a new home instead of cluttering up my bike workshop.

Behind the shed I have built a new chicken run, again using sleepers and some 4 x 4" posts that I had. I have four chickens and they seem very happy in thier new home.

I will be seeding all round the shed and on the tiers in front of the shed. All along that side of the garden I have built a new fence 4 feet high. With luck it will stop most of the rubbish growing through from next door. Certainly looks tidier from my side anyway.

[​IMG]

Other side of the garden I have a 12 x 8 foot shed that is being taken down to make room for my new polytunnel, which arrived today. Once the shed has been taken down I can clear the ground in preparation for the polytunnel. Also have to remove what is left of the old greenhouse and level that part of the ground as well.

I have a large Ash tree, a raggy plum tree and some apple trees that are well past thier best along the fence behind where the shed is at the moment. They are all going. The Ash is an offshoot of one in the corner of the orchard at the back of the garden. It has grown at quite an alrming rate. I keep finding more and more off shoots from it all over the garden. Quite an invasive thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots more work to do and loads of rubbish to take to the tip. Good job I have a decent trailer. When sorting the contents of the shed today I was staggered by the amount of junk I have collected since I put the shed up 7 years ago. Looking at some of it I couldn;t help thinking "Why the hell did I keep THAT"!!

Be interested to hear members opinions on what I am doing.

Chopper.

2. JanG

JanG Gardener

Retire
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like you are putting in some hard work. I like the ponds, I had a pond back in England, started with 12 small shubunkins, not sure if I have spelled that right, they bred the first year, and kept breeding it was great, but had to give so many away because the pond was getting over crowded. Watch out for herons trying to steal your fish, they got some of mine.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    Chopper, you're doing an excellent job there :gnthb:. You've got a lot of clearing to do before putting in the polytunnel. Good luck with it all :)

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the ash tree having offshoots :scratch:. Normally they are seedlings. Ash trees seed very easily and grow surprisingly quickly. As they put down very deep taproots they are also very difficult to dig out. Don't attempt to just cut them down as they will still continue to grow. Once the main tree has been cut down either grind out the stump or kill it.

You are right about them being invasive. You will have seedlings popping up all over the garden for years to come but you will learn to recognise them whilst they are still young and can dig them out. Late spring is a good time to spend some extra time walking round the garden on an ash tree hunt.

4. Chopper

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Shiney

I meant seedlings from the Ash tree. Damn things are springing up everywhere.

The big one behind the big shed I am taking down, is going to come down in the next couple of days. I will cut out as much as possible of the roots and keep an eye on the area for any possible regrowth.

I hate to see any trees being cut down, but at least I am replacing things with new plants. I have just ordered some new fruits trees to plant in another part of the garden. Plus I will be adding a lot of shrubs and flowers once I have done all the work.

I can only do so much each day, due to old war wounds. (I have surgical plates in my head, a titanium carbide joint in my neck, most of my left arm is metal, lots of staples and wires in my left hand). Very frustrating as I really want to crack on and get things done. Just get stuck into a job and then find, I am not as strong as I used to be!!! The metal bits are brilliant as they mean I can still walk and I still have my left arm, but they do have thier limitations!!:D

Tell you something though. I cannot see ANY way that a person can be angry or fed up when you are doing a garden job that means you can grow new plants or make the garden look better. Every day there is something new to look at and learn about. It is brilliant therapy and a fantastic escape from the worlds madness.

Chopper.

5. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Gardening is the best therapy I know of and it puts my world to rights in no time.
    You are doing a great job.:thumb:
    I will never compalin of my achy wrists and thumbs again !! If you can do that much with the bionic bits then I can certainly do what I need to do in the garden without complaint. I have learnt that if I do things in small stages, then it is totally achievable but I usually want it all done in 5 mins.

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ponds coming on good Chopper. Have you thought about putting the junk on Freecycle ? People come round & take it away for you, saves taking it down the dump & keeps it out of landfill.

7. theruralgardener

theruralgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +149
    Chopper, your pond and surrounding garden are really taking shape nicely. It doesn't look as though you let your war wounds get the better of you...I just hope nobody ever comes along with a giant magnet!! :wink:

8. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    I'm impressed with what you've done so far, it made me feel quite tired looking at all.
    A word about the pump and waterfall, it won't keep the water clear. Clarity depends on the volume of water, stocking level of fish and oxygenating plants and particularly the effect of sunlight.

As you haven't expanded on the pond, have you built in a facility for a "controlled overflow?" This would allow you to "trickle change" the water if it does go a bit green, by just leaving a slowly running hosepipe in it overnight.
    Again the siting of the pump is important, to get the best effect from a waterfall the pump needs to raise and send the water the shortest distance possible.
    Ignore this if you've already taken this into consideration.

Looking forward to seeing more photos as your project progresses.

9. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    You`re doing a cracking job there Chopper, the pond area looks great.:gnthb: Imagine all the prduce you are going to have by this time next year.:thumb:

10. Chopper

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112

Hi Shobhna

Thanks, good to hear people like what I am doing.

As for the bionic bits? The way I see it is that I used to be a super fit soldier. I could and often did run 54 miles with 70 pounds of kit, in less than 22 hours across the Brecon Beacons. 4 times a week I used to do three miles in full battle order carrying weapons, ammo and personal kit in 18 minutes 22 seconds. I could do 200 press ups no problem, 250 stomach crunches and swim six miles. (Obviously not all at the same time). I just loved to train as hard as I could push myself.

The wounds have taken thier effect on me over the years and I am now registered disabled. I broke my neck, hence the titanium carbide joint. I am waiting for surgery to implant four more joints. I spent 17 months in hospital aftr breaking my neck and then discharged myself. I wanted to get back to the regiment and get fit again. The army said that it was not possible to return to my former fitness levels and I was demobbed. They gave me a long list of things that I should NOT do. So I promptly set about doing everything on that list and a lot more besides. The army taught me to adapt, improvise and overcome, to fight back despite any odds. So that is what I do.

There are many far worse off than me. Look at the people still in Stoke Mandeville Spinal Injuries Unit and thier Burns Unit. I have been treated in both units. Look at all the disabled kids born with cerbral palsey etc. NONE of them will have the opportunities that I have had, nor be able to experience many of the things I have.

Yes I hurt, a hell of a lot sometimes. So maybe I cannot ride my bikes as far and as fast as I used to. However, I have a great many things to be thankful for.

Don't let a few aches get you down. Ignore them and get the most out of doing what you are doing. Pain is natures way of letting you know you are still alive.

Regards

Chopper. 0)

11. Chopper

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112

Thanks mate. I have not heard that comment before............ well not TODAY anyway!! LOL:D

Chopper

12. Chopper

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112

Hi Ziggy

I really hate to throw anythiing away. Hence I have masses of bike stuff. I have been working my way through it all and selling off loads of stuff.

I am making use of as much as possible for the garden. The shed behind the ponds had a leaky roof. So I have made a new one and put some new felt on it. The sides and base are still solid. So rather than buy a new shed I am cleaning up what I have and I will be giving it a coat of preservative. Be good as new then.

Good to have a clear out. Found bike parts and tools I had forgotten about.

Regards

Chopper.

13. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,991
    Thats great progress chopper, you are an inspiration. When I'm doing major tasks out in the garden on my own, some of which have taken me months, I just do as much as I can each session, breaking up the day into manageble lumps and varying my tasks.

14. Chopper

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Bit more done now. The big 12 X 8 shed has been dismantled and is all stacked up ready to be collected.

The big Ash tree is down. Bloody neighbour was worried about the tree coming down and damaging his crappy fence. Made a point of shouting "TIMBER" when I dropped it. :lollol:I had a rope round one big branch and cut a big wedge out of the side before the final cut. Dropped exactly where I wanted it to. No damage to anything.

I am going to cut the big bits up for firewood and stack them to season for a while.

There was a chain link fence inside the crappy panel neighbours fence. Bolt croppers soon took care of that. Skip arrives on monday so I will be able to get rid of all of the rubbish in one go.

Hopefully the weather will be on my side tomorrow so I can crack on. Will post some more pictures later.

Chopper.

15. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    Brilliant job, Chopper :gnthb:

Ash wood is good burning wood but is best weathered through a complete summer. So using it next autumn would be ideal. :thmb: