I love technology

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Loofah, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,826
    They're building a house opposite me at the moment so every day there's digging and clattering from the wee small hours. No real problem with that, my dad was a abuilder so I grew up with it and it's kinda nice to have a pet project, even if it's not mine lol

Today they've finished digging out the footings and a large truck has arrived with a huge dump of sand on top. Out the back there's a shute and out flows ready mixed concrete - mixed on the truck! I love it. Don;t ask me why, I think it's just these wonderful basic ideas that some people can put into practice:) Not new I know but still a great invention

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      We saw a bin lorry with two separate compartments, one for general waste and one for cardboard recycling.

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,808
      2 Sundays ago, Mr Jenny and I watched a huge fire engine go through a full check out. It had 6 stabilisers that came out the sides , then 6 legs appeared and went down to the ground. Then the ladder started to unfurl and rise up, complete with platform on the top.
      This was in the grounds of the Fire station in Hastings - quite a large depot. Very fascinating .

• Like Like x 1
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +32,952
        Mixed on lorry and you only pay for what you have and no waiting time to pay if you go over half an hour like the nomal concrete lorrys :dbgrtmb: and no waste concrete left over

• Loofah

Ratings:
        +23,826
        See, that to me is ingenious too. I love it. :)

Not really loving the builders today - their digger needs maintenance. Badly! All sorts of creaking coming from the arm...

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        A few years ago there was a telly series called Full Metal Challenge. I have a sneaking suspicion that UK or US military might have had a say on the idea because it came out about the same time as it was in the news a lot that our military were looking at more agile, multi-role alternatives to our fleet of land vehicles including tanks and such. The idea of the TV program was that teams would be given a budget to build a multi-role "endurance" vehicle without knowing what challenges they would be subjected to, so they had to build for speed, agility, toughness etc just to cover every eventuality.

Throughout the series, one vehicle, the British entry called Octopush, just blitzed everything else and it was truly brilliant. Here's the final, skip to about 5 minutes in to get straight down to business.

• Loofah

Ratings:
        +23,826
        Oh that looked a lot of fun! If they hinged the chassis it might help through peaks and troughs more...

• Agree Agree x 1