I need to do something with my Aloe!

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by ennnceee, Jun 2, 2023.

1. ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
    +68
    Greetings. My wonderful large indoor Aloe Vera of many years is now in decline and overgrown. However. it has two or three fairly healthy side 'plants' (hardly pups!) which could be removed and repotted I think. I would appreciate some advice on how best to do this. I've Googled and some say with roots, some say a straight cut. If there is a straightforward best way I would love to know about it. Thank you...

2. Alisa

Alisa Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,754
    I would take everything out of the pot, untangle roots ans plant pups with their own roots. For older stems that don't look nice you can always reroot tops, don't throw them away. Cut the top, remove lower leaves, let it dry, then plant directly into the compost. Keep on a drier side, and they will take.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    • ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
      +68
      Thank you. The 'pups' are grown-plant-size, either side of the main area, so trying to get them with roots is better than what appears to be cutting through, if I have that right?