I think I have been silly :(

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by NorthantsGeezer, Jun 14, 2014.

1. NorthantsGeezer

NorthantsGeezer Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,621
    Hi all.
    I am normally a very cautious/wary person, but I think I let my guard slip yesterday :sad:
    I was buying lottery tickets, and found quite a few old ones in my pocket. I asked if she could check them for me. The first few she said 'no winners' and asked if I wanted them back. I said no, bin em. She went to rip them up, but didn't! It was like she went through the motions though.
    The second batch she ripped about 4 times!!! :ouch1:
    Do you think I have been done??
    A silly mistake for me, but lesson learnt :sad:

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hmmm wouldn't like to say but does seem strange... :scratch:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • NorthantsGeezer

Ratings:
      +2,621
      It was liked she tried to rip them, but didn't. I clearly heard the second batch rip, numerous times.
      I know it's down to me, but maybe there should be a policy to return all tickets to the owner?? she did ask if I wanted them back, but how many would say yes? (although I normally do).
      If you did say yes, like me, you would rip them yourself and be none the wiser :sad:
      Maybe if the customer says to bin them, they should say 'sorry, I cant'.
      The question now is.....should I mention it to the manager discreetly and confidentially? Maybe as a suggestion. I don't want to sound like I am accusing anyone of anything underhand :sad:
      Or......just consider it a lesson?? :scratch:

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,126
      A difficult one NG.. :scratch: I hope you are wrong, but in this day and age one never knows.. I think I personally would be inclined to let it go this time, but always insist on my tickets back in future. I am not a lottery person, but can you not check them on line like other lottery numbers.?
      I think probably if you can't I would never let that person check mine again.. ;) :scratch:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,352
        Hi

You should of said at the time, pointless now and how do you prove what happened, it is a bit of a loophole and we can be too over trusting if me I would let the lottery people know they may send a mystery customer ? .

I normally get mine checked but a new lad done them and I wasn't convinced he had done it properly , so I asked for the tickets back , checked on line when I got home and I had won I think £12.00 or £14.00 from the Euro Lottery so that the last time I will get them checked and rely on me in the future , I don't think he was trying to con me just didn't have a clue what he was doing as the slip only went in a quarter of the way.

Spruce

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • NorthantsGeezer

Ratings:
          +2,621
          I normally do ask for them back, but as I say, I let my guard down :sad:
          It is easy to check them online, but not so easy to check raffle numbers from past weeks. I do check online at times, and I did find a website some months back which showed raffle history. If anyone can find raffle history on the lottery website, please post a link. :blue thumb:
          I didn't want to ask for them after saying bin them because I would have looked bad.
          I have spoken to the manager now, and he was really good over it, and will investigate it. He said that his staff need to be trusted and if things like this happen, then he can see my concern. He also agreed about handing them back, and suggested that maybe camelot could put an audible tone if a winning ticket is entered, because anything could appear on the screen that we can't see. He had been in the same situation himself. Getting them run through the machine I thought would be the most reliable way (no errors), but as you say....not always.
          My problem is that I have a very busy lifestyle. Alarm goes off at 5.50am, home after 7pm, and then feed my pussy, and my face. I then drop into the sofa (shattered), catch an hour or two of tv, then nod off. :sad:
          Hence.....so many unchecked tickets!
          Now, don't cry for me! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Creative Creative x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            The tone/bell if the ticket has a win is an inspired idea! :dbgrtmb:

Wishing you lots of future luck with your numbers NG :grphg:

(ETA: Mind you ... that would also alert others in the Q and then, you could risk being mugged of your winnings further down the road :redface: :scratch: :th scifD36: )

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • NorthantsGeezer

Ratings:
              +2,621
              Thanks M :blue thumb:

I think most would be more scared of 'me' mugging 'them'! Win or no win!! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,668
              Its happened before. With a significant win the winner will be "verified". Camelot knows where the ticket was bought & when, and also when/where it was scanned to check for winnings, so if a person claims a prize, doesn't know where the ticket was bought / when and Camelot then investigate - and find that the person works at the same place where the ticket was scanned - then the shop assistant will go to jail (well, they did in the past :) ). Plus Camelot have, in the past, checked CCTV footage at the time that the ticket was scanned etc. and reunited the Win with the Winner :)

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it ... if the shop assistant suddenly resigns "wealthy" then the Manager is going to remember you mentioning it to him :)

By the by, you should write your name / address on the back of the ticket - that solves the problem :)

According to Camelot's web site shop terminals already do do that:

"The National Lottery terminal will make a distinctive sound when a winning ticket or Scratchcard is scanned"

Doesn't mean to say that you would have noticed. I've never noticed any "sound" when claiming my 2-quid winnings :sad:

• Like Like x 1
              • NorthantsGeezer

Ratings:
                +2,621
                :goodpost:I often only complain to stop other people from having a similar experience. I get a lot of free stuff, or heavily discounted. I don't think people in this country complain enough, and companies take advantage of this. Going off on a bit of a tangent now :biggrin:

• Adendoll

Adendoll Super Gardener

Homemaker
                Ratings:
                +1,308
                Just to say the machines do make a noise when you win ........ and before you all start penning the begging letters £8.20p lol!

• Funny Funny x 1
                • NorthantsGeezer

Ratings:
                  +2,621
                  If I win before death, I will listen out for it :) :blue thumb: :old:

• Adendoll

Adendoll Super Gardener

Homemaker
                  Ratings:
                  +1,308
                  :snork:
                  Well at least you know to wash out your ears before you check your lottery now lol! Hopefully it will be before death as I am sure the further you can buy a ticket from is Europe, doesn't extend to heaven, as far as I know! Lol!
                  Good news you probably wasn't ripped off -faith in human nature restored! Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
                  • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                    +12,668
                    Now here's a thing:

You should buy your ticket as late as possible before the draw. Why? Because you have a much greater chance of dying, than winning, so you could leave the £2 to your heirs in your will instead :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
                    • **Yvonne**

**Yvonne** Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2,347