I think my poinsettia isn't too happy...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hartley Botanic, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    As is tradition, my mother bought me a poinsettia for xmas. It looked glorious in my lounge, but is now on its way out, I think. I just wanted some opinions as to why/how to save it, if possible?

One by one its leaves have fallen off, and now only the red leaves (bracts?) are left :( It's quite a large plant so looks a little odd with the tall, bald stems. Poor thing.

A friend told me that these plants hate drafts, but my flat is anything but - I would even say it might be a case of the heating being too much?! I have watered the plant as often as instincts tell me to, but there's no denying the fact it's not thriving.

Any ideas on what I have done wrong, or could do to put things right gratefully received!

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hello Hartley. I don't think the problem is really anything which is your fault. Poinsettias are short short lived in their glory. They are raised in very special conditions with light manipulation etc to get them into those red bracts for the Christmas market. You can keep your plant going and it will probably do some green leaves for you but it will loose the bracts eventually and they're unlikely to return.
    Your friend was right about them hating drafts but that's not your problem. They do like humidity and being misted with water and they don't really want to be too dry and warm. You could try misting and see how that goes but really they're just Christmas decorations.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    I've tried to keep them and if carefully maintained they will survive, but as Alice says the red bracts fall off very quickly and the the green replacements are boring - it's a pity but it's not worth the effort in trying to keep them going.

4. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I tried to prune one in spring last year, that was the end of it, but it had flowered twice for me just by watering it. Its first year it flowered at Christmas as thats when I bought it, the second time was a year the following february..so 14 months later. I read up on it and it needs depriving of light to get it to flower for Christmas..which I'll be trying again this year..mainly because I'm not a quitter.

There are plently of articles via google about how and when to prune etc..look one up. Mine has just the red bracts left now...but tiny leaves are forming on the stem so there is life left yet. They prefer to dry out slightly between waterings.

Steve...:)

5. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you everyone for your comments and opinions! I feel less guilty now that I realise it isn't necessarily anything I have done (or not done).

Going to have a Google and see what that brings up as well. :thumb: