I wish.......

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Verdun, May 20, 2017.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    just passed a neighbour's front wall.....he had earlier today, cut a beautiful rich blue prostrate rosemary to a few inches of the ground. He wanted it "more compact". Of course, that's it....kaputt! :thud: Had he told me a couple of days ago what he intended to do I would have advised pruning back to some green shoots per branch etc. as well as to take cuttings.
    My neighbour thought all shrubs were pruned in the same way!?
    How I wish....looking back.....someone was to hand to warn me of such things. :nonofinger:
    Ah well! We live and learn :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Last year, Sis asked me how to prune the blackcurrant bushes. Told her to take out the oldest, darkest branches.

So what did she do?

Chopped the lot back by half :doh:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,834
        One of my neighbours, who works for the Environmental Agency, came over to me a couple of years ago, and asked me to look at his pruning of a flourishing Budleja [that I'd given him years earlier]. On looking I found he'd cut it right down to the base leaving no shoots. Now, Budlejas are tough "cookies" but they won't come back after a pruning like that............so I gave him another one. I just wish I had told him how to prune it correctly the first time around.:dunno::doh::heehee:

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • GardenBadger

GardenBadger Gardener

Ratings:
          +65
          Remove Dead, damaged, diseased, crossing and old wood in the dormant season. It amazes me when people are so brutal with pruning.

• Like Like x 1