ID of rose and pruning advice please.

Discussion in 'Roses' started by madon37s, Oct 25, 2017.

1. madon37s

madon37s Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all.

Bit of advice needed please. I would like to know if these roses are the Rose Hip type of roses and if so how and when are these roses pruned. If they aren't these type then telling me what type of rose they are would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,307
      They look like Rosa Rugosa's @madon37s. Is that a hip at the top of the shrub in the last picture? A close up photo would be welcome please.

The Rugosa family tend to have larger hips than other roses.

[​IMG]

They are strong growers and tend to put up suckers around the main shrub. Although I've had them in a previous garden I've never pruned them. Pruning is usually in late winter, early spring removing old stems at the base. Leaving the young stems to grow on, stems of a middle age can be cut back by up to half.

• Like Like x 1
      • madon37s

Ratings:
        +5
        Hi Sheal, many thanks for your reply. I have uploaded a zoomed in picture of the bud/hip type thing for your perusal.

These roses are in a garden I am tending to for a friend and I believe the whole garden hasn't been touched in around four years so I think it is high time they got a bit of a pruning.

Attached Files:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,307
          Thanks for the picture. I would say yes, they are Rugosa's. :) I can't see the pictures very clearly but Rugosa stems are covered in thorns unlike other roses.

Have fun with that but arm yourself with a good pair of gloves before you tackle them. :biggrin:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • madon37s

Ratings:
            +5
            Many thanks again Sheal for your input and advice. Looks like I need to wait until just before next spring then to prune. I'd better find my welding gloves methinks.....

• Funny Funny x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1