Solved ID please - Weed OXALIS

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Gail_68, May 31, 2018.

1. Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Blame hubby he told me to put it on top but I see what you mean :yikes:

Calcium is quite reluctant to start burning, but then bursts dramatically into flame, burning with an intense white flame with a tinge of red at the end.

Just mentioned it and he said well why doesn't the gecko tank set a light [​IMG]with the heat plus false rubber plant...I mean Zigs what a thing to say [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      @Zigs hubby just told me to stop in the shade tomorrow in case my body self combusts :dunno: ...he's [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Zilly since removing the Oxalis earlier this summer...now it's got warmer it's sprouting in places between the slabs on the back...so the growth must be fully flourishing and no way can the slabs be removed and i'm not getting high [​IMG] again like burning it out :loll:

• kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,858
        View attachment 109407
        Like this @Gail_68
        8FC8F26D-7FC3-46CF-89AC-E2E8DC91688B.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          @kazzawazza I was totally stoned mate off the fumes it was a laugh that day and I set the lavender on fire :loll:

• Funny Funny x 2
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Hello @Marley Farley the Oxalis is now popping up in between the slabbing on the back garden so I think it's coming up from underneath the slabs and I know those can't be removed after 9yrs of being laid down :dunno:...I just keep removing it as it shows it's ugly head :sad:

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Oxalis is one of only 2 perennial weeds here that are a persistent nuisance. It is controllable though. Dont let it flower, even the smallest piece.....it will make loads of "babies" that delight in growing in the middle of desirable plants.:gaah:

When I see it I spray with glyphosate or, preferably, dig it out and this means deep digging with the soil around it intact. The rootball is packed with tiny "bulblets".

Gail, glyphosate will eradicate oxalis between your paving :)

I once persuaded the then local GC manager to buy in this most beautiful plant, oxalis triangularis purpureus (think I got that right). We both thought it was wonderful....purple foliage and pink flowers. Within a year I realised it was a prolific self seeder and dug it out. Prob 15 years later I still see new pieces growing.

• Like Like x 1
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Verdun as soon as it shows it flowers even the smallest piece...it's in the plain gravel at the bottom of the garden, still appearing where the lavender plants was removed and al that was dug up and lined again and it's next to my Elijah Blue a bit concerned on spraying by that :help: but otherwise i'll soon by it to stop it between the slabs.

Just looked on Amazon ;) 5 litre tub [​IMG] ready to spray £20-00 and I can get it tomorrow :)

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
              Ratings:
              +14,125
              Ooh I hate it I have also got a constant battle with the pink flowered shamrock one in my tunnel as well...

• Like Like x 1
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                I mentioned what Verdun said about the glyphosate and he's on about putting acid on it what he uses to clean the slabs...it's stopped moss from the neighbours getting to thick and heavy by our drive...I agree with you it's a total nightmare :)