ID Please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Escarpment, Aug 10, 2024.

1. Escarpment

Escarpment Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,995
    I emptied several pots of spent compost into a bucket and left it out - these plant appeared which I don't recognise. Any suggestions? Very textured, slightly rough feeling leaves and reddish stems. 2024-08-10_10-42-31_small.jpg

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    I meant to reply to this yesterday, and forgot. Could it be borage @Escarpment ?
    I only grow the white one, which has green stems, but I think they can have reddish stems, so maybe it's the blue one.
    How are the leaves set - alternate or opposite? I can't really tell from the pic. Borage has alternate leaves, but they can be quite close together when the plants are small.
    The leaves can be quite rounded early on too, then become more pointed as the plant grows. That one on the bottom left looks quite borage-y.

3. Escarpment

Escarpment Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,995
    Hi @fairygirl, yes I think you're right. I sowed a little bit last year and a lot more this year. And some of my pots were overwintered down where last year's borage grew.

4. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Ah - that's good. Hopefully you'll still get a flower or three this year :smile:
    I grew it [the blue one] donkey's years ago, and when I discovered there was a white variety, only recently, I got some. It's been great and the bees just love it.
    I don't think it'll seed successfully for me here, but I have plenty of seed, so I'll just treat it as an annual if it doesn't.