1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved ID sweet pea type climber ?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by HarryS, Jul 7, 2018.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    At my stepsons wedding yesterday I saw this . Thought it was a large sweet-pea , but the flowers were clustered closely together . The plant was a good 8 feet tall and there was a white version as well.
    Would have taken more photos but my granddaughters were taking the mick out of me for photographing flowers at a wedding :snorky:

DSC_0146.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,731
      Yes, it's the everlasting pea, lathyrus latifolius: Lathyrus latifolius | broad-leaved everlasting pea/RHS Gardening

There is a white version too as you say which I think is called 'The Pearl'. They are quite readily available to buy - I saw the pink ones in my local Asda a few weeks ago. They seed themselves readily and that is how the one in my garden arrived - probably from the railway embankments, where there are always a lot growing wild and making a wonderful splash of colour.

Mine's been going several years now, dying right back in the winter but then reappearing in the spring. It loves the current hot dry weather - I have never seen a better flower display - while the regular sweet peas I tried this year were looking so miserable that I pulled them up and put them in the compost bin this morning!

• Like Like x 2
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        That's the one Clare :blue thumb: I'll try them from seed next year . My normal sweetpeas have struggled as well this year lost about two thirds of them. Grown them for years with no real problems, so I don't know what the problem is .

• Like Like x 2