1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solved ID sweet pea type climber ?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by HarryS, Jul 7, 2018.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +12,979
    At my stepsons wedding yesterday I saw this . Thought it was a large sweet-pea , but the flowers were clustered closely together . The plant was a good 8 feet tall and there was a white version as well.
    Would have taken more photos but my granddaughters were taking the mick out of me for photographing flowers at a wedding :snorky:

DSC_0146.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Clare G

Clare G Gardener

Ratings:
      +608
      Yes, it's the everlasting pea, lathyrus latifolius: Lathyrus latifolius | broad-leaved everlasting pea/RHS Gardening

There is a white version too as you say which I think is called 'The Pearl'. They are quite readily available to buy - I saw the pink ones in my local Asda a few weeks ago. They seed themselves readily and that is how the one in my garden arrived - probably from the railway embankments, where there are always a lot growing wild and making a wonderful splash of colour.

Mine's been going several years now, dying right back in the winter but then reappearing in the spring. It loves the current hot dry weather - I have never seen a better flower display - while the regular sweet peas I tried this year were looking so miserable that I pulled them up and put them in the compost bin this morning!

• Like Like x 2
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +12,979
        That's the one Clare :blue thumb: I'll try them from seed next year . My normal sweetpeas have struggled as well this year lost about two thirds of them. Grown them for years with no real problems, so I don't know what the problem is .

• Like Like x 2