Ideas/Advice?

Discussion in 'Alpine Gardening' started by fumanchu, Feb 4, 2024.

1. fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
    Ratings:
    +459
    I love tiny wee alpine plants and rockeries but the one I had out the back had to be covered in gravel for the new mancave :mute:. I have a front garden that is bare hard-packed gravel and impossible for us to dig into - was wondering if there is any way of making a wee rock garden featurey thing on top of the gravel? It sounds daft I know but it would be that or a raised bed. Then I could do the rock garden there. It is exposed to winds and south-west facing, so small tough plants would be ideal. Any ideas or thoughts welcome :spinning:

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,571
    A lot of people grow alpine plants in pots, tubs and troughs filled with a gritty mix for good drainage.
    As for plants, sempervivums and jovibarba, sedums, crocuses, also heathers, dwarf rhododendrons, heathers there are a lot of other as well.
    There are a number of Alpine nurseries in Scotland and one or more may be close enough to visit see Alpine plant nurseries Scotland also there is the SRGC Scottish Rock Garden Club - SRGC Home Page (Add) worht a browse as might this thread on here Growing alpines in a trough outside

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
      Ratings:
      +459
      Great help Nigel ta!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings: