Ideas for a small rockery border

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by GaryK, Apr 7, 2024.

1. GaryK

GaryK Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks

I have a small border (just under 2m x 1m) at the front of my lawn which has some boulders.
    Looking for ideas of what to do with it - what should I plant there, should I replace soil with decorative stones?
    Usually get lots of grass & weeds growing in the border - had a bit of a tidy up yesterday.

Many Thanks
    Gary

Attached Files:

2. AuntyRach

AuntyRach Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,155
    Hi @GaryK,

Well my first thought is do you want a rockery because you have the big stones there, or are you open to removing them and doing something else? My second thought is, the best plants will be the ones that will like it there - so that will depend on the soil type/condition and how much sun it gets etc. My third thought is what plants do you like, and what effect do you want - ie. do you want some low ground cover through the stones (alpines, sedums, geraniums, perhaps) or would you like more colour (seasonal bedding plants or bulbs) or something else (a little wild flower patch or a theme like pollinator-friendly)???

I’m sure others will post ideas to help you.

• Like Like x 2
    • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,485
      Hi @GaryK - what you have isn't really a rockery [which is a quite different thing altogether] but is some rocks in a small border, so you can simply fit in some small plants/bulbs, as @AuntyRach says.
      What you choose will depend on your location, climate and the soil, as well as the aspect of the border, and whether you want all year round interest from evergreen planting, or want to change things around with annuals etc, as she's said.
      If you want low maintenance- easy, tough plants will be best, with a few evergreen choices that will make things simpler to look after :)

• Agree Agree x 1