Ideas for clay soil

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lorry, Mar 11, 2011.

1. lorry

lorry Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Last year I had my back garden landscaped, but couldn't afford to have it professionally planted. It was previously fully paved with raised beds, but now has a teardrop shaped lawn with a patio area and curved beds on the north and east facing sides, which are fenced. Now I have the daunting task of planting and I need suggestions/advice for some colourful, but low maintenance shrubs. It's a south facing garden, but there's a mature flowering cherry for shade on the east facing side. The main problem is that it has a clay subsoil (no doubt that's why the previous occupant paved it) and I don't really know where to start. :what:

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Do you actually mean clay subsoil, or is it that top soil that's clay?

If its the subsoil, I see no problem. If you meant the top soil is clay, you could just improve it with some compost, rotted manure, or soil improver/conditioner (I'm sure the latter is just a posh marketing name for compost - but I could be wrong).

3. lorry

lorry Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I don't have to go far down to get to clay, so maybe just improving it would be a start. Would that be enough? Most of the plants I've looked at require a "free draining soil," which mine isn't. The new lawn has certainly been pretty squelchy over the winter, but I'll be buying an aerator and some sharp sand over the weekend.

4. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    If you've got clay, lorry, then as you've found out you're going to have drainage problems. Sub-soil general is low in nutrients and shouldn't be brought to the surface if you can help it. The universal answer given is "put some drains in" but as you've paid good money out to have it landscaped you aren't going to be too keen to start digging it up, I guess!!

If you want to try and see if "keeping it local" regarding drainage will work I would suggest you dig out the borders [mind your back and get some help!} and put in a layer of gravel, followed by your border soil and some gravel mixed with it. After that just keep adding old compost or whatever to the borders.

Do you know if your soil is acid, neutral or alkaline?, because that will affect the choice of shrubs you can plant.
    Which direction does your garden face and is your garden flat or does it slope in any direction? Again knowing that will help people on the forum to give you advice. Good luck with it anyway!!

5. lorry

lorry Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for responding, Armandii. :) I certainly don't want to be digging anything up, especially as I have a dodgy back! Looks like I'll have to deal with it in sections. I'm beginning to think raised beds was a good idea. I haven't tested the soil yet, but considering the number of pink hydrangeas I've seen in local gardens, I suspect it will be alkaline.

I did specify the orientation in my original post - south facing with the borders on the north and east facing sides backed by Lap fencing. Due to the position of the house and garage, it wasn't practical to have south a facing border. The east facing border is partially shaded by a flowering cherry. There's no significant slope.

:)

6. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    Very important before you spend you good money on any plants/trees/shrubs that the soil is good.
    For clay soil, I tilled it, put manure and peet down and tilled again. Then you plant, then it works.

7. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    You're right, lorry, sorry, I missed the bit about south facing garden!:D If you got a bad back and don't want to do any digging then probably raised beds are partially the answer, and is probably why the people before you had them.!

There are shrubs available to you for your kind of clay soil and you're right it is probably neutral/alkaline. Colourful, low maintainance shrubs???!:heehee: Do you know how many new gardeners with new garden ask for that same thing!!:loll:

To be serious, here's a few suggestions of some you could consider. Note that I'm deliberately leaving out the shrubs that require an annual severe pruning like Buddleia, Cornus, Fuchsia, etc. So here we go:Arbutus [Strawberry "tree"], Acuba [colourful leaves], Berberis, Camellia [in light shade], Caryopteris, Ceanothus,
    Chaenomeles, Choisya, Cotoneaster, Deutzia, Elaeagnus, Escallonia, Euonymus, Exochorda, Forsythia, Garrya, Hebe, Hypericum, Ilex [Holly], Jasminum, Kolkwitzia, Magnolia, Mahonia, Philadelphus, Prunus, Ribes, Spirea, Weigela.

There were other shrubs but I didn't mention them as they required good drainage or acid soil. I left out roses because that's an obvious choice and they're worth the effort of pruning!

That should give you a few ideas, obviously choice of plants is down to personal choice as well soil requirements so you'll thin the list out by yourself!!

8. lorry

lorry Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You're right. I think I have some hard work ahead of me!
    I'm sure everyone asks for the same thing. LOL! Thanks for the suggestions. :D I have a few of those in the front garden, as well as roses, of course. I took the easy way out at the weekend and planted a blueberry in a container. :D

9. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Lorry - I think that much of Britain is on clay. I certainly am.

For me the key was in understanding what clay is and does. There was a thread here on it. http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/Thread-Improving-clay.html?highlight=Clay

Clay can be very much improved by incorporating grit and organic matter. It has many advantages, it has a lot of nutrition and holds water in the summer even as it is cracking, so there are benefits in having clay.

• Like Like x 1
    • lorry

lorry Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you, Peter, I'll check that thread out. :dbgrtmb: