Ideas for large back garden plan

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kaymo, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Kaymo

Kaymo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, We bought this old house in the country about a year ago and having settled in we are now ready to do something with the back garden any thoughts would be appreciated. You can just about see the dwarf fruit trees already planted on the left hand side along the fence. I was thinking about bordering this bit off and putting some bark down for low maintenance and to save me having to cut the grass around the trees. On the top of the mound to the right I was thinking of planting leylandii to block the view of the housing estate and building sites in the distance, as there is nothing but a swampy wasteland on the other side and sun shines on the garden from the direction the photo was taken (i.e. there is no problem with them getting too tall).

The slope on the mound to the right is bare and we had thought of possibly planting shrubs and heathers on the side of this. The grass lawn is quite wet and rocky underneath the think layer of topsoil. There used to be an old paper mill next to the house and there is still a lot of rubble from this. Apart from this we havent had any other thoughts, any ideas would be appreciated

[​IMG]

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/gallery/albums/userpics/18339/IMAG0263.jpg

edit: I am not sure how to get the picture to display?!