identification of purple/pink bush

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Tudor, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Tudor

Tudor Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if anyone out there could help? My mother has a fantastic bush in her garden which, in summer, has the most magnificent, pink booms (rather like a hibiscus but on flimsier stalks). It has grown at the most amazing rate since my brother planted it 2yrs ago (scarily so perhaps). I'm looking for somthing similar for my garden. My brother sent me a text this morning saying it was called, something like, Irke Lovinium. I can't find anything on the web. Can anyone help me to find any more info as to what it is.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,708
    :P Hello Tudor and welcome to GC.

Does your mother live in France also? I can't immediately figure out anything by the name your brother suggested but could it be a Nerium Oleander ... ? I will continue to think on this ... :rolleyespink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerium_oleander

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    [​IMG] Tudor.... Vicky could be right but I am wondering if it is a Lavatera thuringiaca.... Common name Mallow & they come in various colours & colour combinations...

They are smashing plants & some do get very big.. Some live longer than others.. This site is great to try & ID yours if it is one..
    http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Lavatera/Lavatera.html

4. jennylyn

jennylyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Have to agree - sounds like Lavatera to me also - they do grow very big very quickly and come in lots of lovely colours but the most common is the pink one. :)

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,708
    I too think it could be Lavatera, species of which grow here on the main Continent wild, but it would be nice to know where Mum lives as the poster lives in France ... and is this shrub scented?